Old laptop, Puppy Linux and a web browser on Pokitto?

You can’t control the games yet, so it’s pretty pointless. I’ll see if I can get input to work tonight.
Most games will require more buttons, though. I think I’ll try Project Cars (left, right, accelerate, brake) first.
Got any others in mind?

I didn’t even mean having controls over Pokitto, just use it as a display. I have a lot of games to try (Neverball, OpenArena, Minetest, Freedoom, OpenMW, SuperTuxKart, Celestia, Red Eclipse, FLARE, Yorg, …).

Heh, ok, I’ll upload it when I get home.

1 Like

This is great, this is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for. Streaming games to the Pokitto! It’s so silly, but it looks like it’s almost usable already! That was really fast.

2 Likes

Incredible, we need a new wizard badge for @FManga.

2 Likes

Looks like wrapping it up for a release is going to be a bit of work, so I decided to finish some features first:

• switched to a sphere-based, instead of cube-based, palette.
  • implemented Atkinson dithering.
  • input mapped to keyboard. Hardcoded for now.

I’ll upload builds soon. In the mean time, another video filmed on a potato:

5 Likes

@drummyfish: I uploaded a Linux x64 build here.

Making Windows builds will require installing Visual Studio+Python (XCode on OSX).
Probably not worth the effort without the wifi hat, but I can post instructions if anyone wants to do it.

1 Like

I have no idea what I’m doing but I can’t get it to work.

I’ve been getting some connection errors, so I googled up some permission commands that made them go away. I run it like:

sudo dbus-launch ./PokittoRemote

A small window pops up, I press enter and it shows a white screen with red FPS text in the corner. Pokitto is connected via USB and only shows a black screen and a few randomly colored pixels appear in the top left of the screen.

Ah, your system thinks the Pokitto is a Modem and is trying to dial.
Temporarily disable the modem manager:
systemctl stop ModemManager.service

Edit: I wonder if it would be of any use to forward the ModemManager’s commands to a WiFi hat and turn the Pokitto into a wireless network card. Probably not.

1 Like

No way, it’s working… I’m speechless :open_mouth: @FManga you’re a magician.

1 Like

is this a dream? :scream:

1 Like

Probably not, dreams don’t tend to be this silly. :laughing:
If you want to change the key mapping, edit www\index.js line 13:
const keys = ["up", "down", "left", "right", "a", "b", "c", "d"];

“d” is in there because I was going to map the Flash button, but never got to it on the Pokitto side. I’ll do it when there’s a WiFi hat. For now, I think I’m done with this and should go back to the emulators and the loader.

2 Likes