We are preparing a multiplatform gamejam utilizing the MicoJS online dev env (by @FManga ).
Here are the plans for the gamejam so far
A common gamejam for Pokitto, 32Blit, ESPBoy, Meta, and PicoSystem! As a bonus there is also the Galactic Unicorn target (a RP2040 powered 52x11 led matrix display ).
The online multiplatform MicoJS dev env will be used in the gamejam. It can create binaries for all the devices above.
A common theme. We have already voted the 7 best themes in the Pokitto forum. Those could be used if you do not want to organize a new voting. The intention is, just before the gamejam starts, to randomly select one of the following:
- “Featuring the device character” (e.g. “Pokitto”): Make a game where the device character is in the main role.
- “Higher and higher”
- “Japan”: Must involve some aspect of Japanese culture or aesthetics
- “On/off”: There is a switch (or many) in the game which has a effect to the gameplay.
- “Physics”: Must include some kind of physics based mechanic.
- “Time loop”: After a given amount of time, the world/scene restarts back from the starting point.
All games are reviewed in the same category, where the overall winners are selected
The Pokitto, ESPBoy and Meta authors will deliver some prizes. Likely the 32Blit/PicoSystem author/community will also have something to contribute too.
Suggested evaluation criteria:
- Fun factor (overall gameplay)
- Theme aspect
- Presentation (audio/gfx polish)
- Multiplatform aspect / DevLog (how many platforms? How well the game is working in each platform? Or the number of DevLog entries )
About the Multiplatform / Devlog criterion:
– These two would give maximum total 5 points. You can mix and match platform support and DevLog or just do one kind.
– Multiplatform: One point for each HW platform where the game works ok (Pokitto, 32Blit, ESPBoy, Meta, Picosystem). The Galactic Unicorn support gives one point too, but the total points still cannot exceed 5.
– Devlog: One point for each entry, max 5 points. Please write more than few lines with a meaningful content and use a distribution platform which do not require an account to read it (e.g. the Pokitto forum suits well).
There will be judges in the gamejam instead of free voting to overcome the situation where the community size would affect too much to the final result. Here are the people who are interested to be judges so far:
The suggested length for the gamejam would be 4 weeks
The exact date has not been decided, but soonish
Preliminary posters for the gamejam has been already posted to the Discord channel
The Pokitto Discord channel for more up-to-date news: Discord
General rules for the jam
- Please don’t use copyrighted art or other assets in your project. Try to find free-to-use and open-source ones instead, or just use your own!
- You can work alone or in teams
- The game must be made for this jam only and it must be made during the jam.
- Discrimination/offensive material about any race, culture, religion etc. is prohibited
The link to the web page of each device
- Pokitto: https://www.pokitto.com
- 32Blit: https://32blit.com/
- ESPBoy: https://www.espboy.com/
- Gamebuino Meta: https://gamebuino.com/gamebuino-meta
- PicoSystem: https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/picosystem
- Galactic Unicorn: https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/galactic-unicorn