Making a Minicraft Clone (Blocky World)

There will definitely be monsters in the future! The first mobs I’ll probably add will be slimes and zombies, in true Minicraft fashion. I probably will also add goblins, exclusive to the cave layer with gold :slight_smile:

EDIT: Welp, we’ve got an extremely high like to post ratio now :slight_smile: Thanks, everyone! I’m glad you’re enjoying my work :slight_smile: (wow, I used that emoji a lot…)

4 Likes

Awesome work. Exciting stuff :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s been a while, since I kinda took a hiatus from this game…I was too burnt out after a month of coding :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I’m back working on this! I didn’t have time today to actually do any code, and probably won’t until Friday, but I made some mockups featuring enemies!

These actually double as mockups for a lighting system – light level 0 is pitch black, level 1 is a darker form of the ordinary textures, and level 2 is the ordinary textures that I’ve been using. Torches and lava act as light sources, and the player emits a small amount of light.

You can see various colors of slimes and zombies in the mockups, as well as skeleton archers and warriors. The warriors are holding little swords :slight_smile:

Feel free to tell me what you think! I’m considering darkening light level 1 to make it a better transition into pitch black.

5 Likes

I know that feeling :P.
Today I published a library I’ve been working on for the best part of 2-3 months.

I like the multicoloured slimes btw.

1 Like

My little boy and I are looking at the forum, he thinks the game looks awesome and loves the rainbow slimes too. He’s counting them.

1 Like

Sounds like me when making the mockup and trying to figure out which slime sprites to use…

The mockup with all the colorful slimes will be an event (like events in Terraria) called the Slime Invasion. It’ll start when the player uses a Slime Pedestal (a crafted item), and will culminate in an epic fight against the Slime King…

Glad you and your son are enjoying it! I’ve got a 5 day weekend coming up (and then I have 2 days of school before my birthday weekend :smiley:), so I might actually get the first alpha out in a week or so. I’m just hoping it runs on HW :sweat:

4 Likes

Cool, I just know when I finally get my Pokitto he will probably steal it from me.

2 Likes

I really look forward to this little game. Thanks for working on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same here, it looks like it will be awesome and I can play it with my autistic 5 year old (he’s really good at Minecraft as it is, he builds portraits of characters but they’re layered so you have to look from the front to see the pic)

1 Like

At long last, I have finally made more progress on the game. I’ve started on save files. They’re functional, but the UI is unfinished, so I’m not ready to show them to you all yet. However, here’s a sneak peek at the wonders of file saving:

It seems like the code of the Matrix, doesn’t it? I wonder if I’ll learn to read it.

Okay, let’s be serious now: This is a txt file of 96,200 ASCII characters. The program reads it and converts it to blocks in the game. The game actually only loads one dimension at a time – this will help make the game able to run on hardware in the future! I’ve also got another optimization planned – more on that another time.

Right now I’m working on some UI – I also need to polish up a few odds and ends, do more optimization, and then Alpha 0.1 will release! I’m hoping to get it out by the end of the weekend :smiley:

3 Likes

If it’s not too late for my 2 cents, I suggest a rethink of the title. I know you like Blocky World, but imho it sounds too generic for the awesome little game you’re building for Pokitto. The original survey indicated that PokittoCraft or Pockit Craft was favored and does tie in well with the game and platform.

As a compromise, may I suggest :

BLOCKITTO

5 Likes

The game looks fantastic, I can’t wait for it to be done.

1 Like

After a month of confusion as to how to make it work, it’s finally here: saving.

In addition to saving, I added a title screen and main menu so nobody has to screw around with code to save–that wouldn’t be optimal!

Here’s some details about how saving works:

• You can save in the pause menu (not done; at the moment you save with B in the inventory).
  • The game autosaves when you go down or up stairs, and when you make a new world.
  • In the file select menu, there’s a thumbnail generated by the player’s surroundings.
  • You can delete save files.
  • You can also copy save files from one file slot to another.
  • Since the files are simple .txt files, you will be able to download them off the Internet and play on them!

To show all this off, I made a little GIF:

Sorry for the mouse pointer in the GIF – I completely forgot that Screen2Gif records the pointer as well as the actual window. Also, I can’t seem to find good dimensions for the screen, so there’s a little cutoff…

Anyway, my planned release date for Alpha 0.1 is sometime this week – probably Wednesday if I don’t run into unforeseen difficulties. Stay tuned for that!

10 Likes

I built a little New World screen, and I like it so much that I’ve decided I need to add more biomes. So, it seems the release might be pushed back a little bit to next week…Sorry for the delay, but at least you’ll all have a blast exploring!

Edit: Oops, forgot to add the GIF – here it is:

6 Likes

The “exploration update” is here! Here’s what’s changed:

• Added over 20 new blocks to supplement new biomes
  • Mountains in the desert are now mesas with terracotta, red sand, and a bit of gold
  • Added Jungle biome group with jungles, swamps, and marble cliffs
  • Added Snowy biome group with mountains, pine forests, snow plains, ice spikes, and candy cane biomes

And what better way to show off cool biome generation than with some GIFs? I had to split the GIF up into two files for space purposes…

-> Mesa and Jungle biome group (yes, the grass under jungle trees and mushrooms is intentionally darker)

-> Snow biome group

More stuff (mostly optimizations and wrapping up loose ends) to come soon before the first release!

7 Likes

Thought I’d reply to you because I’m not going to change the title. As much as I like PokittoCraft, I’m planning to eventually remake this on PC without all the technical limitations, so I don’t want to keep the game stuck to one system because of the title. I might eventually come up with a better name, but for now, I think I’ll keep it as Blocky World. Your compromise would be nice if it weren’t for my eventual plans for the game, though :smiley:

EDIT: I don’t want to make a whole new post for this, but I want people to know that I had a fairly busy week and the game won’t come out today, but sometime next weekend.

2 Likes

Hi,
how is this game project progressing? Is porting to HW going well?

Nope. I’m having issues with my Perlin Noise library, and I can’t change it until a bug in the simulator is fixed. I can’t generate worlds and test new libraries until the bug is fixed. I’m on pause indefinitely.

Ok, which bug is that?

1 Like

If I use my saving function more than once, the game crashes. I must be saving too much data or something? Hopefully it’s just a bug on the simulator instead of with the core libraries, otherwise I may have to just cancel this…

1 Like