Interpreted language (esp32 specific)

Well I was thinking to run a lua script since WiFi is involved and repacking the data and stuff seems easier that way

If youā€™ve got it up and running on both ends and youā€™re at the stage where you can transfer data between the Pokitto and the ESP then it should just be a matter of transferring and loading a compiled script.

I donā€™t know what stage youā€™re at though.

Also I donā€™t have the equipment to test anything so my usefulness is soon going to be somewhat limited for anything other than looking at code and trying to discern software errors.

Uhm well itā€™s using the same libs as Arduino so if you can test uno to pokitto communication would still be helpful

I donā€™t think that would work, an Uno is 5V, not 3.3V like the Pokitto.

If itā€™s possible then I could do it, but I donā€™t know how so Iā€™d either have to do some research or ask for help.

not sure where to put this but came across this guide on learning c and writing a lisp interpreter

http://buildyourownlisp.com

i think this might run on the pokitto with some tweaks

Iā€™m going to throw this at you as well:

http://craftinginterpreters.com/contents.html

I havenā€™t got round to reading it, but I trust Bob to do a good job.

Also I donā€™t think his version requires mpc and I suspect ā€˜loxā€™ is friendlier than ā€˜lispā€™.

Oh, and in case you canā€™t translate the Java to C++ for whatever reason, hereā€™s a list of all the different Lox implementations people have made:

Out of the ones I skimmed, this one is my favourite because itā€™s C++11 friendly and const-correct:

It would need a bit of tweaking to run on Pokitto though.
Particularly I donā€™t think std::runtime_error is available on Pokitto because exceptions are disabled.

(That said, a lot of the other C++ variants are using C++11, C++14 and C++17 featuresā€¦ In fact I canā€™t find one that isnā€™t using at least one C++11 feature)

i keep looking back at this potentialy amazing use with the esp32 but cant seem to do it.
started looking at mongoose os as perhaps the solution
outside looks like a solid system, it even lets you program it from a browser with javascript or c wich is a bit wierd
it opens up solid wifi, i guess all it realy needs is a decent conection library to the pokitto

any thoughts on this?

My thoughts:
Go back to square one.

Write down all your objectives and discern how important each of them are.

Also if wifi is the main objective, ESP32 seems a bit overkill in terms of power.

1 Like

So I think WiFi is a main point but not the only thing
My problem with doing a custom thing is that OTA updates or pokitto programing the esp is complex
Esp32 or esp8266 are both powerful and I think can be used as external co-processing Chip

So its:

1. WiFi bridge
  2. Reprogrammable
  3. Interpreter

If Iā€™m overthinking it just tell me