Idea: Little Computer People For Pokitto

Wow this is getting some shape :slight_smile:

You can make animations out of these images to see how they work, e.g. with Piskel or Gimp (put each image in a separate layer, remove alpha channel and then export as gif, or do filters -> animation -> playback).

The stair animations look like they’re doing a robot dance :smiley: It’s the L-shaped arm.

:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I haven’t made a gif in forever lol,

and I cannot figure out how to get it to let me paste new layers, lol.
GIMP is powerful, but it makes it hard to do stuff sometimes

Ok, here is is, from piskel
New%20Piskel

I need to work on her arms next

1 Like

I like the artwork so far!

One small remark though, is it me or does the arm chair downstairs look a bit sad (like this: :slightly_frowning_face:)?
:slight_smile:

1 Like

@BigBadHodad :

The walk cycle looks good but you need to add “the bounce”, meaning drop the upper body down a pixel at the low point of the walk. See “walk cycle” below as illustrated by Disney animators

Easy to do, and adds a lot of realism

5 Likes

Lemmings had a super nice walk cycle:

4 Likes

I’ll add a bounce when I get her arms going.

1 Like

I could start writing some code for this, but I’m still a bit confused as to how things are supposed to play out.

• Is it supposed to just be like a virtual pet?
  • Does the character move and do things on its own?
  • How much does the player have to interract with the character?
  • What sort of interractions are there?

From what i saw online, it’s more like a virtual pet that you can ask basic thing for him to do, if you dont do anything it will do things on its own, but for example in the original you were able to type things like:

Please dance
Feed the cat
Play piano
Write me a letter
etc…

1 Like

I didn’t remember the resolution was that low in Lemmings

1 Like

Basically they are autonomous but will interact with you they will ask for food, water books records computer games etc if you don’t provide it already they will watch tv as well

It’s like a better virtual pet, I need to get to my keyboard so I can type better

ok, to interact, you would use the + key , each direction for an action, up food, down water ,left get a book, right a record
then the a and b buttons would modify it, up a would be call them on the phone, down a would be praise them, left a something, right a something else,

c would be reserved for the save menu

1 Like

I had forgotten that they had a piano in some versions.

1 Like

Hrm, I guess the bit that’s taxing my suspension of disbelief is why they can’t find their own food.

In the sims game I played years ago (a GBA title) the character was controlled by the player,
so the player would have to decide when to eat/drink/excrete etc.

To clarify, the stats are hunger, tiredness, thirst and boredom, right?

Also:

• Are there going to be bars displaying those stats, or are they ‘hidden’?
  • Are there going to be icons representing the stats?
  • Which screen mode the game is going to use?
  • Have you chosen all the colours for the game’s colour palette?
1 Like

I would have liked to have used Lua to do the AI,
but I’ve decided that since it’s early days for that I’ll use decision trees instead.

Both options are relatively memory hungry,
but they’re flexible and relatively easy to get up and running.
In the beginning, getting up and running is more important than reducing memory usage.

If the AI won’t need to be reconfigured then it will probably be possible to just scrap the behaviour trees and hardcode it all later or something.

They can get their own food and water you just have to make sure the provided usually in the game it was represented by a water tank and you could see how much water was in it and there was a shelf and as they had food it would appear as boxes on the shelf

1 Like

In which case, maybe the player would have to buy the food and pay water and electricity bills, and maybe earn the money to do so through some kind of minigame?

Otherwise it just seems to me like there’s no real challenge of any kind, it’s just an overly complex lava lamp.
(Maybe that’s just me though?)

1 Like

That’s pretty much what it was back then. I think it was aimed at kids mostly. Reminds me of that Mini the ant on the commodore64.

sounds like a good idea for a later update,

also second attempt at walking
New%20Piskel

I couldn’t get it to look good with a bounce atm,

1 Like

The stat bars should be hidden, the food and water would be shown by their places on the screen, a water cooler on teh kitchen counter, and boxes on a shelf for food and water,

screen mode, I have no idea, whatever is best for the programmer, I don’t understand all the differences,

so far, though I didn’t write them down,

start
title screen

5 Likes

So are there stat bars that display at some point, or does the player have no idea how the character becomes hungry/thirsty etc?

For the programmer it doesn’t make much difference other than how much RAM is available and how much Flash/ROM/Progmem the sprites chew up.

For the artist it puts a limit on the number of colours you can use and the resolution of the screen.

You have to decide whether you want 16 colours or 256 colours and whether you want a resolution of 220x176, 110x88 or 110x176.

Only certain combinations are viable:

• 16 colour 110x88 resolution (fast)
  • 16 colour 220x176 resolution (slower)
  • 16 colour 110x176 resolution (‘wide pixels’)
  • 256 colour 110x88 resolution

If mixed mode is available you don’t even have to decide! IT is currently a little slower I think, but I’m sure some of the ASM gurus on the forum here can fix that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like