Hi from Belgium!

Hello everyone

I am Dieter from Belgium. I’ve received the pokitto last week and I am looking forward to try some programming for it.
I have some basic knowledge about C++ and java but I am more proficient at numerical/Statistical programmng languages like matlab and R… well I’ll see how it goes with the pokitto I guess…

6 Likes

Welcome fellow Belgian :wink:

It’s strange to run into someone who uses Matlab and R.
They’re not what I’d usually class as ‘hobby’ languages.

If you ever want to know more about C++, we have a C++ category.
(There’s also my recently created C++ resource collection.)

1 Like

Well, I use those only professionally, not dring the weekend :slight_smile:

1 Like

That makes more sense.

(Though I used to know a guy who loved maths so much he would spend his lunch break doing maths problems. Each to their own.)

I find it a bit difficult to get started:

• do you make something in code::blocks+pokittosim first to get a prototype working and then go to mbed or embitz to compile for the actual hardware?
  • or is it better to immediately go to mbed or embitz and test everything immediately on hardware

directly too hardware is how i do it

Different people have different preferences.
Personally, I prefer to write code on EmBitz for hardware rather than using the simulator (though I’ve only written one game and a few test programs for the PEX tutorials).

For your first program, you’ll probably find it easiest to modify the “hello world” example on EmBitz. There’s some other examples as well.
All you need is a copy of the PokittoLib and EmBitz. Then you open the .ebp with EmBitz and navigate to the examples

Then you can find the compiled code in PokittoLib\build.
Then you connect your Pokitto, delete the firmware.bin and copy the helloworld.bin file to the Pokitto.

2 Likes

Don’t forget to change build target from WavePlayer to HelloWorld :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

As such, you can only use debugger under Simulator environment. For HW you should buy a probe to be able to debug it.

1 Like

Or if you’re cheap/lazy, just pokitto.display.print() :P