Hardware review: few observations

Every single unit was tested.

I agree something is wrong with the C button. There are very few things it can be, perhaps a failed solder joint that worked initially, but has opened after temperature changes.

Congratulations on finding the first actual hardware fault! The rest have been just software. You have won a new pokitto that will be dispatched to you asap!

3 Likes

Cold / incomplete solder on MCU side most likely. If you’re interested, check if you get 3V3 on one side of switch when running. Ground is the rightmost close to pcb pin on the PEX (extension connector) when looking at the front.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks @jonne

I am going to investigate the issue in the afternoon. Later, I can try to reflow the MCU and make a guide if I do not kill it for good. But I am going to wait for the working unit before killing the only one I have.

2 Likes

Haha! Been there, done that. Yep. A good plan.

2 Likes

Did you notice it: pressing opposite directions in my Arduboy ebook “The guy who never complains” can be useful sometimes…

Hi again,

There is 3.3v in the switch, but I actually already found the problem. I am not sure how the C button worked in your tests before shipping :frowning: but it is actually not soldered:

So… I just put a blob of solder on the pins and cleaned it later with solder wick

My pokitto is fully working now (all the buttons)

3 Likes

I’ve alleviated most of my issues by adding a little plastic to the bottom of my buttons. This vastly reduces the amount of travel and makes them feel a bit better.
It helps dampen the clicking sound also.

8 Likes

All of these stories make me very happy.

It would be nice to say that I have created a perfect product but I know it isn’t so.

The main thing is I see the kind of fearless tinkering that I hoped would happen. I never intended the device to be a “closed box” and it’s cool to see modifications and other fixes taking place.

If anyone burns/cracks/breaks lcd, pcb or anything while making experiments I promise to sell & ship replacement components cheaply. Pokitto is yours to develop further, and I will support as much as I can.

6 Likes

Maybe it slipped past. Is there a QC sticker on top of the SD cradle?

1 Like

There is a QC sticker. I though it was just the typical QC sticker that all chinese stuff has (in this case a leftover from the microsd slot) hahah :joy:

1 Like

That’s laughably simple but also pretty damn clever.

Nope, that was put there by us. It means this one slipped past inspection with a faulty switch. We gotta be even more careful it seems

2 Likes

It is ok! the device is actually awesome, this is just probably a random combinations of events. Do you plan eventually releasing all the sources of the thing? like 3d models of the case and pcb? (like for example https://www.numworks.com)

After Pokitto arrived here i did notice these things :

• assembly is easy, except for final step. closing the 2 halfs without moving the buttons is tricky.
  • The quality of the housing is really good, colors are bright and match those on the site.
  • i added the feelgood.snd on a 2gb sd but this did not work, i tried a 1 gb sd and this did work. The 2gb sd works fine in the pc but using it in a mp3 player gave the same isseu of not being detected. Bad card i geuss.
  • The sound is really soft on the device itself, i cant seem to get it up very much. Using a headset sound is okay.
  • the on/off switch does indeed feel reversed, up should be on
  • startup, press A for loader, then another screen for setting the volume limit, can this be turned off ?
  • Buttons do work, but they have to much play. The vertical distance is good but sideways it can move alot. Perhaps i can place a small spring underneath to elimenate this.
  • Changing sound doesnt give feedback, i cant tell if the device is changing it so how would i know that i am increasing or decreasing the sound ?
  • The lcd is clear and bright, very nice.
1 Like

I will give instructions how to fix this. It has now been fixed in pokitto molds also (just got new parts on thursday)

3 Likes

Ok. So, to fix too much movement in buttons.

cause

The “central peg” in the A/B buttons is 0.3mm - 0.5mm too short. Why this happened is because we changed the button switch component from a silent switch that was failing mechanically. There was no opportunity to fix this earlier.

fix

Put 0.3mm-0.5mm of any kind of sticker on A/B button switches (the brown clicky things on the PCB) to make them a tiny bit “higher”. This will stop the play of the button. I will put a picture to show this later today.

future

This issue has been fixed in the Pokitto mold now. In 2018 this will no longer be an issue.

2 Likes

Mery christmas everybody!!, i do love the first chrismas day just hanging around the house with family doing stuff you like.

Tried this fix today, it does improve the response of the button. However i had the feeling the vertical movement was not the whole problem.

So i did a 3d print of the button but increased the diameter.

The sideways movement was almost completly eliminated, and since i changed the hight it sits perfectly on top of the switch. Response is even better and it doesnt “rattle” inside the case.

Inside the button opening in the case there are 3 small notches i think intended to guide to button without causing to much friction. Seeing the orginal button move sideways as much as they do i would say they need to be a bit bigger. Or you could increase the button diameter as i did.

4 Likes