Hardware review: few observations

That pivot looks like it won’t work because of the long stick.
Something similar to the diagram @adekto posted would work better.

The problem with having a large stick is the location of the pivot-point means the arc created by the pivot’s rotation can be a bit too large. The pivot ideally needs to be small and close to the d-pad.

I have a DSi where all the plastic around the d-pad broke from wear and that diagram is similar the mechanism underneath (except the DSi uses one of those rubbery membrane things).

If I come across it at some point I’ll take a picture.

Whether that works or not depends on how soft the rubber/eraser is.
I’ve had some pretty tough rubbers/erasers in the past that wouldn’t really be suitable.

1 Like

Yup! I have a new design for addressing these issues but I will continue tomorrow :smiley:

Basically is what you suggested, shorter pole.

3 Likes

perhaps wedge something between the buttons to raise the middle up to the same level, then pivot on that?

This design actually works really well. Now I need a game to test, maybe @spinal’s sensitive.

Or maybe after @jonne makes a little testing tool I can add a “reaction and precision” testing to that and compare the dpad efficiency.

5 Likes

Is that hard material?

Yes, just normal PLA.

Off topic: That tape glued to the screen on shipping is annoying :stuck_out_tongue: really hard to remove from the lcd back

I know what I am printing on Thursday when I have some free time at Uni!

Edit: @eried any special fill% or wall thickness to print it?

Not really, I printed it at 20% infill and 3 layers but I do not think it makes any difference.

BTW: I need some scientific test now to test the efficiency of not having the center as a “press-able” part. I need to test it on people who do not know the hack. For the moment is just a “different” option, not an enhancement to Pokitto.

I often wish I had a 3d printer :persevere:

2 Likes

@spinal Check around you for maker or hacker spaces. You can get access to one in those places. I get access to one at my University, but there is also a hacker space near me that has a couple of them.

@eried I will try to test it on some people once I get my pokitto and will come back with the findings.

1 Like

Get the cheapest one from Aliexpress or ebay, it is a great learning experience to assemble one of the cheapest ones, missing parts and joy. They go for under 200 USD /incl. shipment

But this is kinda of topic, we are becoming @Pharap

urg dont remind me i got a 2000€ cnc paperweight

This is why I asked this:

It would be good to be able to migrate discussions to their own thread so they can continue on a thread with the right title.
Clearly I’m not the only one with a tendency to go off track :P.

We have one of those in my town, but it’s quite new and most people don’t know about it. I’m pretty sure we’re a bit of an exception though, I doubt most towns in Britain have a ‘maker space’/‘hacker space’.

Ok. Gotcha!

Just me but I prefer the nes style d pad, I’ve never liked the Sony one it just feels uncomfortable and puts off a vibe of “this is just 4 action buttons not a d pad, we have always expected you to use the stick”.

1 Like

I’d love to print this. Thanks for posting it on Thingiverse! As soon as I get my new Delta Go print head in, I’ll be sure to print this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@eried I think its really cool you went out and solved this “problem” so creatively.

The reason why I say “problem” is because I’m using Pokitto right now, and I can honestly say I never felt the movement of the dpad bothered me.

Nevertheless, your feelings about these kind of things are as valid as mine. I will definitely test it out myself.

1 Like

Thanks! I agree with using the quotes for “problem”. I am the kind of people who buys another controller (so I end having like 8 controllers in drawers) if there is something odd with the old one, or can’t live with a dead pixel, etc. The d-pad felt strange for some reason, but I cannot say that this is the solution.

As I said, I am waiting for your Pokitto testing code (I still think there is something wrong with my C button) so I can run a double-blinded test on the d-pad to get to a final conclusion about the “problem” with some kind of reaction-test program.

1 Like

I just uploaded it

https://os.mbed.com/teams/Pokitto-Community-Team/code/AnimationTest/

Once the animation runs, just mash buttons to see whats working and what not

Here’s the binary also

animtest.bin (255.6 KB)

2 Likes

Perfect, but sadly there is something wrong with my Pokitto:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YxmSau1kTYL25OO62

The button seems properly soldered and there is no visible damage in the traces. The switch also works (conductivity test). Weird.

How do you test the C button before shipping the units? (I think this is also a hardware observation)