The first ZONE is playable from start to finish (Sector 0 through 8). It is not 100% complete (Still missing some room objects for obstacles) but you can blast your way through the enemies and kind of get a feel for the direction of the game.
I added a Megaboss! The Worm
Some features of the mega boss:
- 5 body sections, you must destroy them one at a time from the end to the start.
- Watch out! Each section becomes its own wandering entity when it is detached from the parent!
- The head piece becomes enraged when the body is destroyed, gaining speed!
- After the body is destroyed, the head will also begin to shoot at you, just like the mini bosses!
This version also adds a few extra small in progress pieces to wrap up a “game”
- Game Over page when shield is 0.
- A “sector clear” screen, which also displays final score and overall accuracy. The eventual goal here is to calculate a score based on play statistics. Starting with accuracy but also adding things like upgrades, overall shield repair, etc…
- Lots of tidying up of collisions, but there are definitely still some bugs. I’m notoriously bad at collisions lol ()
- Added a few SFX (explosions, blaster sound, and currency pickup) I do plan to add a bunch more, but trying to gauge overall space before I get too crazy here. I’d also like some atmosphere during regular sectors and a boss/miniboss track. We shall see how that goes.
I’m really excited about the progress so far, I took a few days off because I was getting dangerously close to just running out of steam. So hopefully getting some feedback on the current build will also help me cleanup some areas and make this much more polished
Things to note:
- The shop is ridiculously cheap. I need to balance this for sure.
- No obstacles yet. Still planned though!
- Debating if I want to add more unique mega bosses (one per ZONE) or if I want to do like I did with mini bosses and just recycle the Worm and just add more per ZONE. So you’d fight two worms on ZONE 2 and 4 on 4 etc…
- Unique bosses for each ZONE
- Increase number of bosses but use the same one.