[Game]Trials of Astarok [V1.0]

GamePlay

Each year the people of the village choose a new champion to protect them from Astarok.
Compete in the trials to see how far you can get and you could be that champion!
Your choice of runes will select different courses … some are easier than others!

Graphics          @vampirics
Code                @filmote
Music               @gibs

Source              Source Code
ZIP                    TrialsOfAstarok_V1.0.4.zip (2.2 MB)

Special thanks to @gibs for an amazing theme track for this game.

This game draws heavily on Squario but nearly every aspect has been altered and improved.

Installation Instructions

This game consists of a POP file and supporting sound assets packaged in a .zip file. Please expand the contents into a directory on you computer - you will see a POP file and a sub-directory called music. Please ensure both the .POP file and folder are copied to the root directory of your SD card.

Depending on what other games are installed on your Pokitto, you may already have a sub-directory called /music on your machine. If prompted, simply merge the contents of the Astarok directory with the folder already on your machine. The names of the file are unique and should not clash!

15 Likes

Love the graphics of the banner

1 Like

The title screen looks fabulous!

1 Like

Thank you … but of course you need to direct that comment to @Vampirics :grinning:

2 Likes

I can tell you that it’s a platformer with some nice graphics.

4 Likes

I already mentioned this on the other forum, but just to point it out here too:
Has anyone else spotted the Elder Scrolls reference?

2 Likes

No. What reference?

Not too sure what you were referring to since the only game in that series I played was Daggerfall. But I checked online and all I found was something about Trials that are dungeons in Elder Scroll?

If that is what you meant it was purely accidentally that I used that term.

That being said, i hope the game will interest people reference or not.

The symbol you’re using for the As in Astarok are the Oht and Vehk runes from the Daedric alphabet:
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Daedric_Alphabet#Daedric_Alphabet

Some of the other letters have resemblences too, though that’s more likely to be a coincidence.
The Oht rune is very iconic though, it was on Oblivion’s boxart:

That symbol doesn’t occur in any other runic alphabet I know of.
As far as I’m aware it’s unique to the Elder Scrolls series.
(It’s also used as the conjuration symbol in Skyrim.)

2 Likes

This will be awesome - i am sure!

2 Likes

I hope I haven’t over-sold it already!

2 Likes

I never (!) was disappointed by a game you made - they have a special place in my heart for a reason

6 Likes

mr-bean-waiting

6 Likes

Almost there … someone on the team added a new mini game into the mix.

4 Likes

If I said, I think we are really close … would anyone believe me?

1 Like

Struggling with the last 1% of the game’s development? :wink:

1 Like

“The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time.”
- Tom Cargill, Bell Labs

3 Likes

Version 1.0 is now available!

Keen to hear your thoughts on the game itself and its theme track!

6 Likes

Ok Ok Ok!!! The intro already looks amazing! One eager volunteer for the trials of Astarok right here!

3 Likes

The game is well polished and great.
Some levels are harder then other and search for the easy ones is a game in the game for me.

I was curious to have a look at the code (usually it looks real good even there), but right now the link is closed?
https://github.com/Press-Play-On-Tape/TrialsOfAstarok_Pokitto

2 Likes