304967402d69f180274ffcadadac04f08900b747

Road Trip

Graphics    @vampirics
Music         @gibs
Code          @filmote

Source        Source Code
ZIP              Zip File

Inspired by the Atari 2600 game Enduro.

Strap on your goggles. Sink into your seat. And leave all your fears in the pit. You’re about to enter the race of your life. You’ll be required to pass lots of cars each day. From sunrise to sunset - as fast as you can. Welcome to the National Enduro!

With each passing day, your target number of cars will increase. For an extra challenge, switch to a manual transmission!

Installation Instructions

This game consists of a POP file and supporting sound assets packaged in a .zip file. Please expand the contents into a directory on you computer - you will see a POP file and a sub-directory called music. Please ensure both the .POP file and folder are copied to the root directory of your SD card.

Depending on what other games are installed on your Pokitto, you may already have a sub-directory called /music on your machine. If prompted, simply merge the contents of the RoadTrip directory with the folder already on your machine. The names of the file are unique and should not clash!

Screenshot_01  Screenshot_02

Screenshot_03  Screenshot_04

Screenshot_05  Screenshot_06

Screenshot_07

Music

This game features a custom sound track by @gibs. It is excellent and really adds to the game! While driving the car, press the ‘C’ button to reveal the radio and flip between the different tracks he has added.

Reviews

Our good friend @retr0rob has reviewed the game side-by-side with the original Arduboy version. The Pokitto version sure has come a long way from the original version.

17 Likes

Just like the Arduboy version only better (and in colour!).

6 Likes

Wooooooooowwww!! Can’t wait!

2 Likes

Yeah, awesome :clap:

2 Likes

Another teaser …
RoadTrip_Pokitto.bin.1

12 Likes

A snowfall is a nice touch :slight_smile:
I also like that the road goes up and down (unlike in Pokitto GP)

2 Likes

Did you notice it goes from day to night (and back again!)?

1 Like

Yep, that looks great too!

@filmote when you drive in snowfall, you get a very distinct starfield effect. The snowflakes zoom out. You can’t see them falling, they zoom towards the car

And this is slow driving

And it can be extremely scary if it is heavy fall and high speeds :eyes:

And its very tiring on the eyes, if you have to do it for hours

2 Likes

That was the idea when I though of adding the snow effect, to make it somewhat more challenging lol

1 Like

LOL … that’s how it looks when you are driving from inside the car however our game’s perspective is outside of the car. (That’s code for it was supposed to be a simple, cheap effect!)

2 Likes

Does not change the situation unfortunately. The camera is outside the car but it is moving forward. As soon as the car accelerated in the gif, my brain went “wait, this is not correct”. Its like seeing a kangaroo walk on all fours instead of jumping.

As for the cost of the effect… You can do it! And you’ll be very satisfied with the end result, just trust me.

Then, we need to look at how snow accumulates on the road. Snow patches that slow you down / make you lose control if you hit them at speed are a real thing when driving in snow fall.

1 Like

I see what you did there - appeal to my Australian sensibility. Did you know that the Emu and Kangaroo are on the Australian coat of arms as neither can walk backwards thus they are always moving forward. Oh, and they are uniquely Australian,

I have some many other things to fix … I will put it in the list and decide if I have the time or inclination after I have done everything else. Sometimes I get sick of seeing a project and just want it over!

1 Like

I know that feeling :slight_smile: And it makes it worse if you start planning the next, much more interesting, project before the current one is finished.

2 Likes

Oh … that’s right. Look over there! Something new and shiny!!

5 Likes

I think I’m quite an expert at this :stuck_out_tongue:

Really liking the look of Road Trip so far. I’m still really enjoying the Arduboy version and can’t wait for the full color Pokitto one.

No worries, mate, she’ll be right :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Eh, it was good enough for Sonic R

The number one reason I never finish anything.

Purely because I want an excuse to show off…

“I’ve just picked up a nice shiraz from the bottle-o, got myself a sanga from the servo, and then this arvo I’ll be going bush.”

Those sangas at the servo have often been sitting there for days. You take your life into your own hands eating anything from a servo.

1 Like