Here is Recreation, my interpretation of the Cute Demake Jam, released version (also available).
It’s a game actually containing ,demakes of old games:
- Jump’n’Bump as “Arena”;
- Blobby Volley as “Bunny Volley”.
Now, this game was build for local multiplayer, through sharing the buttons of the Pokitto or via new additional button provided by the PEX. Arena is pretty much by alone, but there is an AI for Volley that might give you some kind of challenge!
I wanted initially to have 3 games, but that might come later.
On the tech-side:
- It’s built on FemtoLib by @FManga - I call it “minilib with features”.
- Custom renderer, strip-based (like TAS but multiple lines at the same time).
- Clanky entity system and game engine framework I’m also using for Escarmouche and ARIAT.
- No SD requirement (except for Femtolib’s stuff).
- Relies on the PEX for additional players.
- Runs at a steady 30 FPS.
Associated devlog - [DEVLOG][Cute&Demake] Récréation
Itch.io submission page - Rate Recreation by carbonacat for Cute Little Demake - itch.io
Jam version - recreation-jam.zip (513.2 KB)
The ZIP contains all the installation tips, as well as the instructions for the PEX extension! However since I rushed to get it submitting within the Jam’s time limit, there might be some issues or misunderstanding
Unfortunately there are no Windows built yet. Technically I could release a Mac version, but there are annoying restrictions there and that requires some time to test it.
The source aren’t available as of yet. I need a proper license inside it, especially concerning the assets, and other stuff. Once I figured out how to make them compile on and for Windows and Linux, that’ll be done.
Title screen. I recycled a drawing I made a few weeks ago
Volley - aka the demake of Blobby Volley
Arena - aka the demake of Jump’n’Bump
A boring GIF summarizing everything.
They’re plenty. Underestimating is my specialty!
- Third game - some kind of tennis/pong using joyhat for the other player.
- Lots of sounds and musics
- Lots of tiny details I wanted to include in the Arena.
- Another level for Arena
- I’ll work on providing the build for Windows, and the sources as well as soon as I can.
- I think there might be some fixes to throw around.
- I want the players to chose their avatars. Currently there are 6 kind of bunnies, but only 4 are available (and 1 inside these 4 cannot be controlled). I drew cats and bunnies and I’ll probably add them.
- I also want to build more on this game because I think the Pokitto lacks a bit for local-multiplayer games.
- I’d also attempt a try at wired two-pokittos action!
- Making an AI for Arena would be a great exercise too.