ARRR, me mateys!
FULL VERSION RELEASE !!!
1. Objective of the game
For a pirate,
a fate far worse than the treacherous rocks ripping the ship to shreds, far worse than the raging seas, the howling winds, or the mystical sea-monster Kraken
… is running out of Grog
Sailing the dangerous waters of the Spanish Main, you as a captain have to take care of your ship and crew. Your goal is to sail to different islands, land on the ports and make sure your ship stays brimmed with Grog.
- Left, Right steer ship to Port (anticlockwise) or Starboard (clockwise)
- C restart game
- A (while sailing) fire cannon (needs time to reload)
- A (while docked at port) boost yourself out of a harbour
- Left, Right (while ‘Landed’) jiggle ship to traverse through land
3. Basics of Sailing
- Watch the wind direction
- You can’t go against the wind
- Sideways to wind is often faster than directly downwind
- ‘Tacking’ i.e. going slightly against the wind allows you to climb upwind - if wind is strong enough
4. Gameplay hints
- if you get lost at sea, just press ‘C’ to restart the challenge
- PRESS A several times in the beginning to start
- if you are Landed you can jiggle your boat to get loose
- if you wish to exit a port, turn your ship and press A to give it a push
- the ship’s mast watch will call “Land Ahoy” when he sights land. You can then try to sail in that direction. It is easy to miss the islands!
- not all islands are safe to land - the port may be in an impossible place. Sail away to another island
Now go learn the ropes, ya miserable landlubber!!
FULL VERSION GAME Binary:
pyrates.bin (210.3 KB)
FULL VERSION Source:
pyrates.zip (237.5 KB)
Interesting factoid: What is Grog?
all gfx, code by me
sfx by me
“Bonnie Lass” trad. Irish song, Public Domain midi played through a FM synthesis soundfont