Prelude to a Dream: Chapter 1
Name your character:
Explore the world and meet people:
Find some equipment to gain the upper hand:
Latest release: v0.3 (released 2021-03-08T08:00:00Z)
Source Code: GitHub
Music: JRPG Collection by Yubatake license CC-BY-3.0
Font: Cursive 2 by devurandom’s New original Grafx2 font collection license Public Domain
Palette: miloslav by @drummyfish license Public Domain
This is the initial v0.1 release of my game Prelude to a Dream.
This release features all of Chapter 1 and serves as a demo of what’s still to come.
I’ll be releasing each chapter as I develop them with v1.0 being all chapters complete.
- The main menu is opened by pressing “C” from anywhere on the map (not in battle).
- The menu’s are navigated with the arrow buttons and “A” to select and “B” to go back.
- When on the save/load screen pressing “C” will allow you to erase a save slot (the game will confirm Yes/No if you want to erase the selected slot).
- When dialog is being displayed you can press “A” to instantly display the current line being shown (you have to release it and press it again with each line). Holding “B” will skip all dialog including when it pauses for a button press. Holding “C” will skip all lines but not the pause (every 4 lines). This allows you to skip over dialog if you want.
- When in battle holding “B” will also instantly display all battle messages, while holding “C” will automatically select “Fight” followed by “Attack” for faster battles.
- You can save your game anywhere in the world as long as your not in a battle.
- Throughout the world will be special “treasure” items whose only purpose is to sell at the shops for extra money (requires exploring and interacting with the environment to get them).
- At level 2 you’ll gain the “Examine” skill which lets you scan enemies to determine their stats, strengths, and weaknesses. Once an enemy has been scanned you can lookup their stats in the “Beasts” section of the menu. Be sure to use “Examine” on the bosses as you’ll only encounter them once each.
I don’t have a github setup for it yet as the project folder has gotten very messy with old prototypes and resources I don’t have a license to distribute (was using them for early prototype testing). Once I do some spring cleaning I’ll get the project up on github.
EDIT: Uploaded v0.2 to fix the save game issue on some devices. Also included an empty save file in case some devices have trouble creating the blank file.
EDIT 2: Added the license info for the font and palette used. Both are Public Domain so no attribution is necessary, but I firmly believe in giving credit where credit is due.
EDIT 3: Uploaded v0.3 to improve the UI and increase the walking speed by 50%. Also uploaded the source code to github so others can see how I managed to pull off some of this games features (like swapping tilesets between SD and RAM).
EDIT 4: Added some screenshots to better show what the game looks like.
EDIT 5: Added a GIF and removed the [wip] tag and added the [release] tag so it should also appear in the games list.