[Game]Pokitto Grand Prix

game
release
racing

No more tracks? Please, tell if you have any problems in making user tracks.

Well… I don’t find my SD adapter.

I’ve been fighting my laptop and environment so I haven’t gotten to it yet. But I will hopefully get to try making at least one tonight!

That is a major problem :wink: I am not sure if Pokitto emulator has support for SD card emulation (?).

Like I said, as soon as I can add custom gfx, I’ll gladly make tracks :wink:

It is a deal!

Btw. I have already verified that BmpImage.cpp works on HW. I can now read a texture and a palette from a file in the SD card. It still need to organize palette colors better way and then read all the textures from SD if they exist.

Here is finally my first attempt!! Sorry took so long to get to it. Went through at least 5 revisions before posting. I wanted to make it challenging but still fun :smiley:

Mork lake 
tor.sh
....../-----------------`.......
......|r===============,!.......
......|!...............|!.......
......|!...............|!.......
......|!...............|!/-----`
......|!...............Xx|r===,!
/-----j+------`........|!|!...|!
|r===========,!........|+j!...|!
|!...........|!........\==%...|!
|!...........|!...............|!
|+-`......./-j!...............|!
\=,!.......|r=%............./-j!
..|+-`.....|!...............|r=%
..\=,!.....|!....../--------j!..
....|+-----j!......|r========%..
....\======,!......|!...........
...........|!......|!...........
/--`.......|!......|+----------`
|r,!.......|!......\==========,!
|!|!.......|!.................|!
#*|!./`....|!.................|!
|!|!.\%....|!.................|!
|!|!..../--j!.................|!
|!|!....|r==%.../-------------j!
|+j+----j!......|r====,r======,!
\=,r=====%......|!....|!......|!
..|!............|+----j+------j!
..|!............|r=============%
..|+------------j!..............
..\==============%..............

mork.txt (1.0 KB)

This looks very interesting!

It is definitely a challenge. My wife tested it out and did three tries. I think her fastest time was just under a minute. There are 2 or 3 spots that may need to be adjusted still but I’d like more feedback first :slight_smile: maybe it is good. But definitely a hard mode track.
I enjoyed making it! Will definitely make more when I get a chance :smile:

I have only now time to test it. I was a bit lost at first because there are so many twist and turns, but soon I got familiar with it. 34’6 is my best. Great track!

Much faster time than I’ve gotten! Wow! Is it acceptable then :smile:? I wanted it to be challenging for sure.

I used a lot of shortcuts :wink:

I just got to 38"2 on my best time. Slowly figuring out my own track haha. 34’6 though, dang. You’re very good.

edit: I finally got to 33"8!! Woo!

WIP update:

I have now got texture importer to work. Here is a video demonstrating the loading and running a new user track. Both textures and the track profile are user defined.

Here are all the textures of the “circuit board” track in one image.

Below are 3 textures separately: a 16x16 “edge” and a 8x8 “road” textures with their mipmaps, and a 12x23 “capacitor” sprite without a mipmap.

Edit:
To be more specific, each texture should be stored in its own file, including mipmaps.

• The 8x8 texture with the mipmaps is an image file, e.g. “tex02.bmp”, of 8x12 pixels and 256 colors.
  • The 16x16 texture with the mipmaps is an image file, e.g. “tex01.bmp”, of 16x24 pixels and 256 colors.
  • The sprite image, e.g. “sprite01.bmp”, can be of arbitrary size, but the width must be divisible by 4. There is no mipmap in the sprite file.
  • All the image files must use the same palette, that is why it is handy to make one texture atlas first and divide it to separate files when ready.

Still to do before a new release:

• Add support for defining the position of the billboard sprites in the map file.
  • Make it possible to change the textures of the default track
  • Perhaps, make the browsing of different tracks faster. Now we load all the textures before previewing the track which is slow.

Would it be too much work to have the sprites drawn at multiple angles so that they could be rotated with the level? Or would there be memory issues?

That could be done, but I do not think billboard sprites look too bad. Rather, I would like to have the ships rotated but that would not look very smooth as you can see in the original SNES F-Zero.

Hi all,

Good things are happening in PGP development. I cannot reveal anything yet, but I in the near future there will be really exciting improvement made for PGP (not by me). Stay tuned!

A new relese is here! Now users can make own tracks and textures, and import them to the game from the SD card :wink:

A wiki article follows shortly.

The binary and an example track is added to the top post (v1.0.4).

Edit: The article I promised:
Instructions how to make custom tracks and textures for Pokitto Grand Prix

Oh wow! So exciting! I’ll give it a try tomorrow when I have a chance :smile: will need to make a new course with some textures now.