[Game]Pokitto Grand Prix

Hackenheimring? We just need Nerdburgring and we are all set!

Btw, I manually promoted you, you have full rights now

Welcome on board!

4 Likes

Kinda like the trophies for the ā€œcarsā€ in smash bros. When they rotate both sides is the rear lol

Wow! Thatā€™s cool. A very nice script.

You are right, I did not notice it first:-) I have to check this track out! What is your record?

My best is 29.5 sec.

One small issue I had when editing the track was that PokittoGP didnā€™t accept it because there was a ā€œ\nā€ at the end of the last line. Some text editors add this automatically.

2 Likes

Ok, I have to handle that.

Concept art for the Vulganus, home track of Mos Tarble

Edit: @Hanski , I need a picture with the official palette

Local fans support their own hero:

11 Likes

Blizzardoa , the ice planet. Home of Beeb Geezip

Warning: slippery in winter times (always)

8 Likes

Marvellous! I think I have to add user texture support just for getting those mockups to reality!

I planning to have own palettes for each track. The first N palette entries are common and they are for the UI colors + ships ( unless you want to customize ships too). The rest of the 256 color palette are for track colors. You can import the palette too.

Hmmā€¦ I have not calculated how many 256 color textures we can import to RAMā€¦

1 Like

Planet Vextrex

Off-track causes segmentation fault, you glitch to another position

8 Likes

@Hanski :

Could we also please affect the physics parameters for our custom tracks? (acceleration, grip, off-road deceleration/rebound)

1 Like

Yes, that can be made.

1 Like

You only need to import a few textures at a time. And, to be perfectly honest, we could get very far with just palette + bg image. I did not really change the textures in those mockups

1 Like

I have to say the idea of being able to import a track + its texture is charming :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is right.

1 Like

I tested your track. The crossroad looks very nice! There are quite many possibilities for shortcuts (my record is 26ā€™3). Maybe, there should be an item which blocks the way completely (e.g. a fence or rock). That could be used for preventing shortcuts.

2 Likes

I briefly tried editing a track with PokiPad but it only has access to the root directory so it canā€™t edit track files inside the pokitgp directory :frowning:

Ok. When I was testing PokiPad, the track files were still in the root folder. Letā€™s hope @drummyfish will add folder support at some point.

2 Likes

I did calculation and all the game textures take about 3 kB. There is nothing to worry about as in PGP, I checked that there is currently 10 kB free in the main RAM block (and some more in the additional RAM blocks).

Btw. you can get a rought estimate (does not consider memory fragmentation etc.) of free RAM by doing: int8_t test = new int8_t[1024]; in a loop until it returns NULL, and print the number of loops succeeded. Note: do it this way only for testing purposes as normally you should free the allocated memory.

That is just the quick way (for me!) to do it. Eventually I will do it better. Now I occasionally need to patch PokittoLib also, for which I will later make a PR (like the recent PR about a small improvement to the sound player implementation). Currently it is more comvenient to have the whole PokiitoLib forked.

1 Like

Yes, that is a big weakness of my program! I though this would become a problem and Iā€™ll try to take a look at it. However I have a new PC and have to set everything from the ground up plus I am very lazy lately, so donā€™t have many hopes. The source code is around if anyone really needs it.

1 Like

Okay, quickly bundled together. I was able to open and save files in a subdirectory (havenā€™t even tested deeper than one subdirectory). You can give it a try:

firmware.bin (122.5 KB) (the code has been pushed to the repo as experimental)

:video_game: back to Freedoom for a while :video_game:

4 Likes