[Game]Matti's Nightmare

Much better! :slight_smile:

Thanks! I appreciate that.

Personally I preferred the pin on the scissors being white because it looked a bit like an eye.

Also I preferred Matti’s eye being white rather than yellow.

The shading is definitely better though.

Those both are because I wanted it to look more like ZX Spectrum gfx. It not really is as I have not simulated the color clash fully, but I am happy how it looks.

Update: The 2nd room!

• implemented room switching and added a new room!
  • improved collision detection

Matti2.bin (175.3 KB)

8 Likes

How do you feel about the difficulty level of avoiding enemies, moving and jumping? I want to make it quite easy, not “80ies hard”. Perhaps I will add puzzle elements later to increase the challenge that way.

I’ll try the game today!

1 Like

Some feedback:

• love the graphics, jumping difficulty is spot on. Ahti 4yrs managed to get to second level

Bugs:

• if I pick up the first item, I just get a lot of static. Is there supposed to be a sound file on SD card or something?
  • If you go far left in Beehive and jump left up, you’ll disappear and freeze
  • occasional freezes during game (I guess you should try/except your dynamic objects)
1 Like

.I thought compiling for mbed meant exceptions were/are disabled?

I didn’t realise the game was written in Python. That makes more sense.

1 Like

I am pleased to hear that.

Sorry , I forgot to mention. To enable music, please copy this file to the root of the SD card. rap2h.raw (250 KB)
Without the background music you (and Ahti) have lost a lot of the atmosphere!
I also noticed that without the background music, the sfx effects are just white noise! Have to fix that. It has been working before without the music also.

yes, that I knew of. Have to fix it at some point.

Could you reproduce it in Pokitto Editor? It might be some python error. (Matti (29).zip (104.8 KB)
)

The next room will contain your worst nightmares…in pixels :wink:

4 Likes

I like the game’s music and graphics, and the jumping works pretty well, although the jumps can be kind of weird since I fall off the platform edges earlier than I expect. I also noticed that if I quickly walk back and forth between the two rooms I can make the character fall through the floor. I’m liking the start of this game so far, looking forward to what’s coming next!

1 Like

Yes, I have to address those at some point.

Thanks, I am working on the new room now.

2 Likes

Finally got around to playing it. The audio is fantastic!!

And I must say again:

THE BEES!!

2 Likes

Thanks!

I consider making a new bees themed room just for you :wink: It will really have a lot of bees. It would be a secret room which you have to find an entrance to… If you beat it you get a lot of honey pots :slight_smile:

Edit: Here is a good background music for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtpS7yJOGaY :wink: It is originally a classical music score so it is free.

1 Like

Room in progress:

9 Likes

I have now released a new version. It contains a new room, “The worst mare”, and one secret room. Can you find it? :wink:

The game is stored in itch.io, because I want more visibility for Pokitto and Pokitto games. It is here:

Edit: I also updated the top post of this thread to contain the link above.

4 Likes

That looks great!! :smiley:

1 Like

Found the secret room yet ? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Let’s have a contest: Who will get to the secret room first (and tell its name)? No lurking into the source code(!). :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: