[Game]LeWord [V1.2]

ScreenRecording

Choose between English or French dictionaries in this version of Wordle for the Pokitto.

Graphics  @vampirics
Code        @filmote

Source      Source Code
ZIP            LeWord.zip (6.8 MB)

What are the rules of LeWord?

You haven’t played Wordle, really? Its such a simple game you will work it out playing it but anyways:

• You have to guess the secret word in six goes or less.
  • Every word you enter must be in the word list. The word list consists of common (and some not so common) words but in general there are no proper nouns or plurals. The list is by no means exhaustive - as @Mr.Blinky pointed out, there is no CODER word!
  • A correct letter turns green
  • A correct letter in the wrong place turns yellow / orange
  • An incorrect letter turns black
  • Letters can be used more than once. This can be tricky! If the word you are guessing has a repeated letter and your guess has that letter once, it will not indicate that the letter is contained in the solution more than once.

Tactics

• Start with words containing common consonants (R, S, T) and vowels (obviously).
  • For the second word, incorporate those correct from the first word and avoid the less common consonants (so avoid the letters Q, Z, X and even the K, H and J unless you know the answer.
  • If you are looking to simply solve the puzzle and are not interested in the number of attempts it takes you to get there, you can enter five burner words from which you can learn hints about the letters and their placements. Then you get one chance to put those hints to use.
  • The rest is up to you. This really is an easy but addictive game.

Special Keys

• Press ‘C’ while in the game itself to swap audio tapes.
  • Press and hold ‘C’ within the game to quit to the main menu.
  • Press and hold ‘B’ within the game to reveal the answer to the current puzzle.
  • Press and hold ‘B’ on the statistics screen to reset the statistics for the chose language.

Enjoy!

Screenshot_01   Screenshot_01

Screenshot_02   Screenshot_03

Installation Instructions

This game consists of a POP file and supporting sound assets packaged in a .zip file. Please expand the contents into a directory on you computer - you will see a POP file and a sub-directory called music. Please ensure both the .POP file and folder are copied to the root directory of your SD card.

Depending on what other games are installed on your Pokitto, you may already have a sub-directory called /music on your machine. If prompted, simply merge the contents of the LeWord directory with the folder already on your machine. The names of the file are unique and should not clash!

11 Likes

A very nice title screen!

1 Like

Thanks … glad you like it!

1 Like

I love the aesthetics and the OSK looks so awesome!!

1 Like

I have played Mastermind as a kid. That has a lot in common. We have played Wordle (Finnish version) few times with my wife.

2 Likes

So when you switch to French, does the title swap to “The Mot?”

2 Likes

i think this one was inevitable :laughing::+1:

3 Likes

Version 1.0 released!

5 Likes

Noticed there is a “DS.data” file and an “uncompressed” folder in the zip-file. Is the latter needed?

I will try the game soon :slight_smile:

No they are not required … thanks for the heads up, I will remove them!

2 Likes

Hi, the game hangs (also music hangs) if I enter an invalid word, e.g. “qwert”.

1 Like

You are right … I am surprised I have never seen that.

As this game came from the Arduboy, I built a lookup table to point to the starting positions in the word list based on the first two letters of the word. There are no words starting with ‘QW’ so it returns a 0xFFFF. I am not bothering to test if that is the case and … well you found it!

Damn it probably does the same on the Arduboy version too!

Version 1.1 released to fix this!

3 Likes

“Qwert” still hangs for me.

LeWord looks for incorrect words where those words are like real words. Qwert is not even a close approximation for a real word :slight_smile:

Pretty sure I have nailed it now! @Hanski would be grateful if you could test!

Version 1.2 released to fix Version 1.1 which was a fix to Version 1.0.

4 Likes

Works now :slight_smile:

Btw. a nice error message :wink:

2 Likes

Oh good … glad it passed your inspection!

1 Like