[Tool]Gameboy Emulator

Or faster SD streaming.

If SD streaming were faster, it would be possible to create a virtual memory system so the whole game doesn’t have to be in memory at once.

I was thinking of doing that when I started, but the MMU needs to be so fast that you notice if memory access is inlined or not. Swapping ROM would be unplayable. Swapping RAM would be even worse.

Anyway, I just got MBC1 to work! :smiley:

Still have to update the converter.
EDIT: Converter updated. See first post.

6 Likes

…if you’re talking extra hardware, then it would be the perfect excuse for a SID hat, or one of the Yamaha chips?! :smile:

2 Likes

Exellent :slight_smile:

I’ve make some test depending on rom (and keeping you recommandation dunno if it come from the convertor or the rom him self but sometime the bin generated crash (won’t boot after flash).

After your doing an AMAZING job

If we could load with a simple menu rom this will be perfect for test :wink:

And pokitto that doing GB emulation what a great thing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We need a new badge for @FManga, because none of the ones I have made so far are fancy/grand/extreme enough…

4 Likes

Ok, so I made a Google Sheet about all the ROMs that could potentially run on the Pokitto (MBC0 and MBC1 without added RAM)

… and …

there are 3315 known such ROMs. So @FManga has just added (potentially) 3000+ games for Pokitto. :astonished:

This is an editable list, anyone can view and make test results

2 Likes

Holy moly! That is incredible!

Indeed!

1 Like

Hang on, you listed games up to 2MB in size!
There’s only room in flash for ROMs up to 128KB!

2 Likes

We have faith in you Felipe!

:wink: I’ll remove those.

1 Like

Its still 2397 roms

3 Likes

@FManga I just had the chance to try the Pokitto-Zboy tool you have made.

How can you do stuff like that in such a short time?

Your skillz are something beyond elite.

Just amazing. I am now playing Motocross Maniacs on Pokitto.

I need to pinch myself.

EDIT: I am sending you a hardware debugger as a little thank you for this.

And I think the Pokitto community agrees. This is just freaking me out. Now playing Castlevania.

4 Likes

Insomnia has its good side! :laughing:
A debugger? AWESOME! Thank you! :smiley:

2 Likes

The emulator at its current speed is actually perfect for beating Tetris on Level 9 / High 5 (B-Type) to get to the end screen! :smile:

(still no easy task though! :sweat_smile:)

5 Likes

Would be cool to add in the Super GameBoy borders! And shouldn’t hurt performance if you just draw them once and then don’t update that part of the screen?

4 Likes

That is a cool idea!

2 Likes

Amazing stuff like this gets me excited to work on new projects again. I tried out a few games like Tetris last night and the conversion process was foolproof. Awesome work again!

4 Likes

I think it can be done completely separate from the emulation also. If I remember correctly, the borders are actually SNES code (don’t quote me on that) and therefore really have nothing to do with the gameboy game at all.

I just made an update:

• Now you no longer need to unzip your roms. Just drop the zip in.
  • Palette customization

It’s probably good to clear the browser cache.
Anybody care to make some preset palettes?

I haven’t looked at the relevant code yet, but I think GB carts can detect a super gameboy and send it specific commands (like loading/changing the border).
There isn’t enough space for the full border on the Pokitto, but maybe it’ll look good cropped. I’ll give it a try later. Also, I’m not sure if there’s enough space in flash, it’s almost breaking the loader already.

1 Like

(In case anyone doesn’t get the significance, see here.)

2 Likes