rifleguy_shoot_j

EDIT: oh, the rifleguy animation is really poor. Need to fix that

EDIT:

• I want to see the enemies beforehand
  • No more spoilers please

0 voters

4 Likes

Extensive change to Anarch base code succeeded

I now have bigger maps working, meaning I can finally get to E1M2 and the bigger levels!

So I changed from this:

level0

To this:

xlevel0

6 Likes
  • Level secrets have to be in the same place as vanilla Doom
  • I want the original levels + additional new secrets on levels.
  • Forget about following Doom level design exactly. Make new levels.

0 voters

1 Like

I did not chose new levels so that the game will be ready by the next week :wink:

3 Likes

I am genuinely surprised by these results

i now have trigger plates, elevators, doors, hidden doors and just about everything that is vital to recreate the behaviour of the levels
(see below if you want)

elevator

4 Likes

Wow, that looks amazing! :open_mouth:

1 Like

I am unhappy with “Woof” as name and the dog / cat theme.

I am going to change them.

Explanation: I have invested so much effort into the “look & feel” of the game, I am so close to getting there, that adding a superficial dog/cat story on top is just a distraction.

You have to play the game to understand. You get (at least partially) the same vibes as from Doom. Doom had no dogs. Doggy gotta go.

EDIT: done

Still open to better name suggestions

1 Like

If you’re going for a more direct demake with the same atmosphere as doom, maybe you could call it MOOD, if it puts you in the same mood as DOOM.

2 Likes

Could always use a bunny instead, then it’d be sort of like a prequel of sorts :wink:.

The original didn’t, however…

The Marine’s Best Friend port (and several subsequent ports) did.

Doom RPG had ‘Hellhound’ enemies.

I’ve also just found out that there actually was a (quite modern) port called ‘Woof!’ as well:

I don’t know what ‘demoon’ is supposed to actually mean, but to throw something out there, what about ‘MOON DOOM’?
(With the intent that either one word would be placed above the other, or the two words could be superimposed.)

I was going to suggest PDoom, but that’s been done. PKDoom would also work. Doomitto if you’re desperate.

2 Likes

Pokittoom?

I have to say it - Doomitto

3 Likes

Oh gosh yes please this.

Which one? Doomitto?

3 Likes

This one for sure. I love it.

4 Likes

First release

8 Likes

UPDATE

Non-crackling music version and POP file added to Gamedisk

POP-file:

doomitto.pop (383.7 KB)

Music file (put inside /music folder on SD-card):

e1m1_8k.raw (768.1 KB)

5 Likes

You have made some really interesting improvements to anarch’s engine! You added sectors that are fully lit, and areas with flashing lights. What kind of lighting granularity do you have (do you have more than fully lit and the normal brightness falloff from anarch)? It looks like you also change the color of certain floor elevations at specific area boundaries, so we get the toxic green goo in some areas without forcing all floors at that height to be that color. That adds a lot to making it feel closer to Doom.

The music also adds a lot to the vibe. I just played your most recent release. Before that, I think I put the 11kHz music in the wrong location, so I first played it without music. The music really contributes to the Doom feeling. I think the enemy growls are a bit too frequent, though. Sometimes they are moaning nonstop.

The enemies getting stuck in corners and not being hit by shots happened often enough that I found it easier to switch to the fists and just punch everything that wasn’t out of range, but I was playing on the easiest difficulty. I feel like until shots can consistently land on enemies, I would just prefer to play on easy. I’m not sure if enemy corpses block shots (in this or anarch), but it sometimes feels like that’s what happens.

The doors have a strange behavior where after you open them with B, they will automatically open if you approach them if they have just closed. I don’t know if this is to prevent the door from crushing you. The lifts are also a bit confusing, because I’m still not sure if pressing B while on the lift activates it. When on a moving lift, the view kind of “shreds” into a bunch of vertical stripes, but I assume that’s one of the bugs you might have been wrestling with before the deadline.

Are the button sprites not yet interactable? I can’t seem to do anything with them.

Great job with this so far! There were a lot of changes you had to make to add these Doom-specific features, and it’s definitely feeling more like Doom.

3 Likes

Just wondering, are the changes for DOOMITTO made to anarch source available anywhere?
I mean lightmapping, bigger maps etc. it all looks very useful as there’s proven pokitto is still capable to run it in playble framerate.

3 Likes