[GAME]DashOfTheDead (java of the dead compo)

Dash of the Dead: a Java game for the Java of the dead Pokitto game jam

Day 1

Initial design phase. I’m thinking of a dash/runner game.

Torbuntu (hehe yeah I’m going to be a character) wakes up to discover that the world has changed. The dead have come back to life! And they want his brains (well, that is what he thinks). He quickly bursts from bed and runs away from the zombie menace.

Running while tired is a challenge, so Torbuntu must collect coffee drinks to stay awake!

Energy meter that depletes without recharging by collecting randomly placed coffee drinks

Obstacles may become a problem, so Torbuntu must dash through them!

Doors to buildings, Fences doors, Windows ;), etc…

See how far Torbuntu can get before running out of energy or slamming into a solid surface.

Possible upgrade mechanics include: Higher jump, double jump, dash distance, dash power, energy depletion slow down, bigger energy bar.

UPDATE

Lots of changes as always to what I planned.

Itch.io Page
Github Repo

POP file (04/10/2019):
JavaDashOfTheDead.pop (189.8 KB)

The game is still a dashing game.
There are 3 upgrade options:

• PWR: Power for the dash.
  • JMP: The amount of jumps available.
  • HIT: The amount of times Tor can get hit before ded…

There are platforms to help reach higher areas (for manoeuvring over enemies or reaching high prizes)
There are ghouls that try to grab you as you run. But you can dash through them to plaster them against the dungeon walls.

Finally a gif!

Post Jam Download:

(05/25/2020)
BIN: JavaDashOfTheDead.bin (165.4 KB)
POP: JavaDashOfTheDead.pop (403.0 KB)

Changelog:

• Updated the hitboxes, should be a bit “easier” now, and more predictable.
3 Likes

Sounds nice!
I am curious to see how the hero looks :slight_smile:

JavaDashOfTheDead.bin (151.2 KB)
Latest Bin here if anyone would like to give it a try.

This version:

• Doors will now kill you if you do not dash the middle of them.
  • You have to save up to purchase the new skins in the shop menu.
  • Shop Menu for skins (the Tailor’s shop).
  • Cookies! Haven’t tried it yet, but the skins should be saved when purchased. (As well as high score (distance))
3 Likes

New and final additional features / completed features:

• Power ups now cost 10 coins before starting a run.
  • 6 total vanity skins to purchase!
  • game over screen has a more complete run summary.
  • game over screen has tips.
  • coins are saved as well as beat run distance!
  • purchasing items is accompanied with a coin sound.

And more various improvements/tweaks.

Will do a thorough post once I finish tidying up and putting the finishing touches on it.

2 Likes

Tonight I declare finished! Submitted to the jam the “final” version :slight_smile: starting to go a bit crazy on this one so I’m finishing it out where it stands before I “develop it to death”.

Will update this page when I get a chance hopefully this weekend.

3 Likes

This is frantic and fun. Love the skins. :slight_smile:

But is it intentional that you lose all upgrades when you die?

I’m really terrible at playing this and thought I could gradually accumulate upgrades to beat it, but every time I die I start with no upgrades. I’m running this in the Pokitto emulator…

3 Likes

Each level you start with the same amount of powerups, however you can purchase powerups (10 coins per powerup) before starting a run. So yes it is intentional to lose them after a run :open_mouth:

1 Like

Ah, I guess this design makes sense if you get further with every attempt (because of the upgrades) and earn more gold with each run.

However, it doesn’t work so well if you keep running into the first wall every other try. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Those walls/doors are the worst enemy!

2 Likes

Well it was supposed to be a challenging game :sweat_smile:… Like I mentioned on itch, I got the upgrade system from Gradius and those games were hard.

1 Like

Mini-review:
This is an endless runner type of game, where you can run, jump and dash, and collect objects. Luckily, you do not have to start from the zero every time, but you can gradually collect money. That keeps you hooked as with the money you can eventually purchase costumes which look just fabulous! But this is not an easy game, so be prepared to sweat before getting those. Sometimes you crash to the enemy even without really touching it (!).

Special in this game: The Tintin & Milou/Snowy costume!

Suggestions:

• At start, “Power”, “Jump” or “Health” could be labels for the relevant lines. Then you could just select the line to upgrade.
  • The collision rectangles could be more fair :wink:
2 Likes

Another amazing review Hanski thank you! The suggestions are fantastic and right in line with other feedback. Definitely stuff for me to improve on post jam :smiley:

1 Like