[Game]Catacombs of the Damned

catacombs

This is a port of my Arduboy game Catacombs of the Damned! for the Pokitto. You must fight your way through 10 procedurally generated levels whilst collecting loot and blasting monsters with your fireballs!

cotd

The port features new colourised graphics by @Vampirics and fancy dynamic lighting effects!

You can download the source and a pre-built binary from the github page here:

Original teaser

Just a teaser for now :wink:

16 Likes

This is too much. I am going to lose sleep. My constitution can not handle such anticipation!

tumblr_px51otvWnf1yukioto1_400

2 Likes

Thats the one i have been waiting for!!

Just awesome!

1 Like

I’ve been playing with texture mapping and dynamic lighting. Looks very different from the Arduboy version though! What do you think?

Catacombs.bin.1

15 Likes

Wow, :open_mouth:wow :star_struck: wow :flushed:

4 Likes

It looks impressive!

4 Likes

Sacre bleu!

2 Likes

Looking great and gives a nice ambiance to it. And even better, it seems to still run smoothly :+1:

2 Likes

Yes running smoothly! The GIF actually makes it look slower than it is. That counter in the top left is the ‘potential’ FPS (it is locked to 30FPS)

Here’s a binary if anyone wants to give it a go:
Catacombs.bin (82.8 KB)

(It is a little buggy right now!)

5 Likes

:scream: wow… I only tried it in the emulator so far, but just wow!

2 Likes

Wow, the dynamic lighting looks great! Movement feels nice too. Really amazing job already!

3 Likes

@Vampirics has been doing an amazing job of recolouring all of the artwork for the Pokitto version! Here is a gameplay GIF of how it is shaping up:
Catacombs.bin.1

10 Likes

I feel like swearing but I won’t because this is a family friendly site.

But yeah, looks unreal.

4 Likes

Funny you should say unreal as I used this dithering trick from the Unreal 1 software renderer when sampling the lightmap to reduce the colour banding :smiley:

6 Likes

Just found this in twitter:

Wow that looks similar a lot.

That is for PC and made with Unity. The author is making a level editor also but I have no clue will it be open source.

Probably both are inspired of this DOS game: https://dosgames.com/game/the-catacomb-abyss-3d/
Amyway, it is very nice to get something like this for Pokitto :slight_smile:
I would say the atmospere is best in the Pokitto version due the lightning effect!

1 Like

Yup i think i remember @jhhoward saying that was the inspiration when he made the Arduboy version.

Yes there was some inspiration from Catacomb Abyss! I’ve seen that other project before, I think we follow each other on Twitter :slight_smile:

I have added more artwork by @Vampirics including a new title screen and also some squeaky sounds.

Catacombs.bin.1

There is now a binary release on github that you can find here

6 Likes

I can’t wait to play this.

COTD was easily one of my top favorite Arduboy games and to see it in color on the Pokitto with artwork from the legendary @Vampirics is simply amazing.

6 Likes