[Game]Arcadia Strikers

hmm, the bullet that hit the ship, is removed. you should not get a game over. or I misunderstood.

Only before the game over :slight_smile:
When you explode and you still have life left, only enemies bullets are removed.
Thanks, for your comment and for communicating the correct music path. I was outside :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really cool! Alsoā€¦ really punishing! I feel like Iā€™ll have to really memorize the level to get ahead of some of the turrets and especially the tanks that track. Here are my main two thoughts:

• Iā€™m with @carbonacat on needing invincibility after death: I feel like having a second or two of i-frames after death is a convention of the genre that lets you lose a life but kind of get back ahead of things. I found myself instinctively moving back over to where I died because itā€™s what I expected
  • Iā€™d really like to not be capped on the y-axis of movement. Getting stuck half way up the screen when I was going for a power-up during a lull or trying to dodge a bullet felt really unfortunate :frowning:
3 Likes

First to the key :stuck_out_tongue:

Really great so far. The music is a great addition to it.
My suggestions:

• Invincible after death: Iā€™d recommend destroying all enemy bullets like you do, then respawn the player exactly where they were but flashing for maybe one second (possibly less) during which time theyā€™re invincible so they can move to a new spot.
  • y-limit: allow the player to go anywhere on screen (this is sometimes necessary to dodge bullets in some of the more intense areas). Also needed for dodging the spinning discs in case you lost your rate of fire boosts (they canā€™t all be defeated with zero or one boost and once one hits you youā€™ll respawn in their path and die again).
  • possible ship speed increase: Usually for really heavy bullet-hell type games its best if the player can move faster, or at least the same speed, as the more common bullets (there are exceptions for specialty weapons/ships). Though this one really depends on how well the previous two improve things (could possibly keep the speed and if your holding B then move slightly faster).
  • Skippable intro: The intro is really cool and I was surprised how clearly the voice sounds (usually downsampling for the Pokitto can make voices very choppy and hard to understand). However, Iā€™m also a big fan of being able to skip lengthy intros.

I really like how dying doesnā€™t reset your powerups, instead it only resets your firing rate. One of the hardest things to balance with these types of games is making it doable, though extremely difficult, without any powerups (at least without the ones you loose when dying), but not making it too easy if you do have the powerups.

One of my favorite vertical scrolling schmups was Raiden (I had the Atari Jaguar version) and Arcadia Strikers has a very similar vibe to Raiden imo :+1:.

4 Likes

Hello,

Congratulation :slight_smile:

• Invincibility after death: okā€¦ will do !
  • y-limit removed : ok will do (already discussed with Vampirics)
  • ship increase speed : it was planned. (the voice is already recorded).
    -skippable intro: of course.

Thanks for your interest :slight_smile:

8 Likes

@gibs would you like to be interviewed for the next Pokitto mag? The story of this game could be interesting.

5 Likes

This one is going to keep me busy! Loving it :smiley: The audio and music as everyone else commented is incredible for sure! I can see now why so many requests for temp invincibility on death though when you get to some pretty chaotic sections xD

I better get some gloves or something because this one is a sweat inducer. :muscle: gotta get that high score.

2 Likes

When willwe see a new mag? :smiley:

1 Like

Before july

3 Likes

Oh, cool :sunglasses:

(Trying not to hijack)
Let me know how to help!

3 Likes

Heck yeah! :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Get Ready !

4 Likes

I still may need gloves haha. I almost dropped Pokitto from the intensive play. Good thing Iā€™ve got the strap

2 Likes

Well it certainly took you long enough to catch up to me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I know right? hahaā€¦ Hey man, Iā€™ve been kind of busy xD

1 Like

New version is comingā€¦ And itā€™s harder !
I explain: the difficulty is the same and it should be easier as you can get the protection butā€¦you take more risks to collect the pickupsā€¦ :blush:

3 Likes

Exciting! Say, is there a high score system? Or did I just miss it at the end?

Not yet !

Arcadia Strikers on my 27" (thanks FManga)

3 Likes

Itā€™s coming right at you !

2 Likes

Whoa what now?! Is that still using Pokitto??