[Game]Anarch -- Doom clone FPS

Although Anarch is “only” one game, the amount of work that has gone into it is phenomenal.

For this the Batcomputer has decided to award Miloslav with the most prestigious badge of Game Mogul!!!

gamemogul @drummyfish

A round of applause!

11 Likes

Tried it out a little. Truly amazing achievement!

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Doom e1m1 remake on Drummy’s engine

Just played it a little and I think it’s great! It’s amazing to see what the little Pokitto can do.

Nicely done! :smiley:

3 Likes

@drummyfish , from Twitter

https://youtu.be/X_CAp3Z42MY

4 Likes

Joyhat is here! OMG it feels like my old gameboy advance :sob: Or Nokia N-Gage! This is the future.

This makes the game so much more enjoyable, at least for me. I’m now figuring out how to set the controls. Firstly I wanted the analog stick to behave like mouse, but that wasn’t working as you’d need to be moving with both hands. So I simply use it as a directional control with threshold, which also frees the arrow keys for other uses. My current idea is:

• joystick: movement
  • joy button1: previous weapon
  • joy button2: next weapon
  • A B C: A B C
  • up: jump
  • left/right: strafe
  • down: map

The rumble is so strong it scared away my cats lol.

WIP bin: firmware.bin (178.7 KB)

6 Likes

Wow! Need to try that on my joyhat :grin:
Btw. I had, and still have, NGage too. “Pathway to Glory” was amazing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Meanwhile I’ve discovered a bug: if you die in the latest unlocked level you’ll unlock the next one xD I’ll be releasing new version with fixes and joyhat support soon.

I never had N-Gage, but my bro just bough one for XMas for my other bro so we’re playing around with it right now.

2 Likes

Do you have the original or QD?

Original, switching memory cards on it sucks. Last XMas I also got Nokia 6600 (my most favorite phone ever), which can also run N-Gage games.

My other bro also just bought Siemens SX1 (my second favorite phone).

I really miss the times when phones were fun.

2 Likes

This is why I am working with the Fedora Project on the PinePhone and eventually the Librem 5 :eyes:

1 Like

They will never be this fun again, every phone nowadays is just a big boring screen.

Well maybe except for this one boy that’s going to replace my boring Android phone.

6 Likes

Iirc it contains a fm radio, which was left out from qd.

1.01 released, joyhat pop added.

3 Likes

Just perfect for playing Anarch!

9 Likes

You could have a 2 player split screen mode where one player uses the standard controls and the other uses the hat!

7 Likes

I am currently working on a tool for this using Python. I am learning how to use OpenGL for the first time, so it’s slow going, but I should have more time soon to flesh this out: https://git.pixelbath.com/pixelbath/anarch-mapper

In keeping with the spirit of Anarch, I am also releasing this into the public domain.

9 Likes

That’s amazing man, thank you for this :slight_smile:

About OpenGL: you’ll probably find tutorials on modern OpenGL with shader etc.: definitely learn that. However also know there exists ancient OpenGL, which they will discourage you from, with so called fixed pipeline (no shaders), which is much more simple for programming (less flexible, it does most things for you), is sufficient for a lot of basic 3D and will run on more computers (because old GPUs may only support older versions of OpenGL). It’s also good to learn that and always consider it as an option. Here is a tutorial on it (it teaches you the old/simple OGL first, then goes on to teach the modern one).

2 Likes

I recently was motivated to try to compile a game for DOS, and I thought it would be cool to try to port Anarch.

Here’s my current progress. The weird colors are only because I haven’t changed from the default VGA palette yet, which I think I can change without too many issues.

My main concern is that the rendering appears to be getting corrupted somehow, and I’m not sure why. I am compiling it as a 32-bit DOS exe, but something is going wrong. Facing certain orientations makes the walls vanish, and it seems like the only a few sections of wall can render consistently, maybe around the top left of the level.

I’m building this in a VirtualBox VM running FreeDOS. The compiler I’m using is OpenWatcom. Just setting up a dev environment for this was a nightmare, so it’s not very easy to debug.

@drummyfish, do you have any idea what might be causing this? The game seems to be running correctly, it’s just the rendering that’s broken.

Edit: All I can remember changing in raycastlib.h that would make any difference is I changed the RCL_HitResult in RCL_castRay3D to be of size 3 instead of size constraints.maxHits, because the compiler required it be a constant.

Edit 2: I recorded the video with the game running at quarter width in an attempt to improve a choppy framerate. Here’s what it looks like at full 320x200 resolution:
VirtualBox_FreeDOS_20_03_2021

3 Likes

Wow, amazing, if you make this playable and link me a repo I’ll add it to the list of unofficial ports.

Hmm not entirely sure, are you using double buffer for rendering? Source code would help.

EDIT:

All I can remember changing in raycastlib.h that would make any difference is I changed the RCL_HitResult in RCL_castRay3D to be of size 3 instead of size constraints.maxHits, because the compiler required it be a constant.

Make it higher just in case, like 64, you are likely accessing unallocated memory.

2 Likes