[Game]Abbaye des morts

A reminder that this code still doesn’t comply with the GPL, specifically clause 5a:

The work must carry prominent notices stating that you modified it, and giving a relevant date.

We do, in the README.

1 Like

I’m not sure the README counts as part of ‘the work’,
but I can’t find any evidence either way,
and I really don’t have time to go looking any more into it,
so I’ll have to assume that’s fine.

It is also in the title screen and the git repo and log is open for anyone to see what the exact changes were and when they were made.

3 Likes

This is a really amazing port, but it really is tough as nails.

I wish I could have helped work on this, but I don’t think I could have even come close to doing as good a job as you guys did here. I actually did try starting to port it a long while back. I got as far as getting all the code to compile and run on the Pokitto, with a single placeholder sprite for all graphics and a bunch of the code commented out. I didn’t do any scrolling, so the levels didn’t actually fit fully on screen, and the framerate was so low it would have been unplayable. I think I didn’t even implement I/O, so the only way I knew it was at least partially running was that I got the sprites for the crusaders to move across the initial screen. Once I decided the code would need a significant rewrite, I put the code aside and ended up never coming back to it.

I originally figured I would need to replace all the floating point calculations with fixpoint to get better performance. Looking at your code, it looks like you are still using floating point for the player/enemy coordinates in the game, so I suppose that the use of floating point wasn’t the bottleneck. I’m curious what your main changes were to get such a good framerate. The result really is amazing!

I think I’m getting a crash on my Pokitto if I run out of lives after reaching at least the first checkpoint and then restarting the game (without restarting the Pokitto). The Pokitto freezes consistently when it tries to load the first room.

3 Likes

I’m finishing a Postmortem with some of the changes we’d to make to make it run. I’ve also been surprised of the final results.

There are still some issues to be fixed, not sure if I’ve reproduced your bug.

1 Like

Seems like @FManga found the root of the problem.
@wuuff if you’d like to test here it is abbaye.bin (176.4 KB)

Note that It’s compiled with latest PokittoLib that include some of the improvements developed during the making of the game and still in test.

1 Like

It is really a shame this game is so hard. I would like to play it but without a trainer mode / savestates it is just too hard for me :tired_face:

3 Likes

same here, it looks wonderful, but the trend toward “brutal hard” / unplayable games is killing a lot of potentially great games. Ive even learned to avoid any game that says Roguelike in the description lately

1 Like

Even with a trainer mode / savestates this game is too hard. Just ask @drummyfish, he died about 80 times and didn’t beat the game. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Didn’t die that many times but it felt like it lol.

here is pop file i made for the high colors version.
L’Abbaye des morts.pop (546.8 KB)

5 Likes

Many thanks @bl_ackrain , added at the start of the thread also.

2 Likes

The Abbaye has finally been conquered.
20200420_041031

11 Likes

Sweet, I couldn’t get into it, hard for yards sake isn’t gaming fun for me unfortunately though I appreciate where it comes from (long live the Sinclair line)

1 Like