Extensible Loader

I think minigames on loading screens are patented anyway.

They were. The patent expired. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why was Bandi allowed to patent an ā€˜ideaā€™ in the 90ā€™s that someone else did in the 80ā€™s?

1 Like

Is that loading screen 3 minutes long? o_O

Did you never own one of the old 8-bits? 3 minutes was easily the average loading time for a game. I remember even having a game called ā€˜in the beginningā€™ that warned on the cassette inlay of a 13 minute load time!

I started off on the NES. No tapes, no loading screens. :stuck_out_tongue:

So much to do, so much to see, so much to do, so much to seeā€¦

1 Like

They probably shoved a lot of money and hookers at someone.

1 Like

Today I got the loader to load .der files, so now it can update/uninstall itself.

Now Iā€™ll start working on the tool for making pop files out of bins.

5 Likes

So we can soon add icons to our bins? That nice!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the idea. Iā€™m thinking of making a github site where you drop the bin in, fill out a form (author name, description, etc) and it gives you a pop.

For those whoā€™d prefer to not use a browser and/or make pop file generation part of the build process, a NodeJS-based command-line tool has already been made.

2 Likes

Is that available somewhere?

An older, undocumented and slightly incomplete version is on github. It is what Iā€™ve been using to make the pop files that come with the loader, so you can look at one of the pop.json files as an example.
Iā€™ll write a guide on how to set it up and use it soon.

Ok, seems that currently the format of the icon is: 36x36, 4bpp. I have to have one for Pokitto GP :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the format used in the desktop, which has larger icons. The file browser needs 24x24, 4bpp but I donā€™t think support for that tag is on github yet.

1 Like

Drop a BIN file and the emulator starts running so you can take screenshots.
Icon pngs and author/description are optional. Still need to add a ā€œDownload POPā€ button.

6 Likes

Big question @FManga : how should we host the game files? Hosting them here is not very convenient.

1 Like

Itā€™s not convenient to host them here in the forum (as attachments), or do you mean on this server?
If the former, we can make a game repository (nodejs? php?) and host it on the same server.
If the latterā€¦ maybe Firebase? :thinking:

We can host them on the server but there needs to be an upload system

Dunno what it is but the meta forum has a nice upload system, and the page with creations with previews and all, thatā€™s how Iā€™d like the frontend to be (plus show a license of each game). I especially like the favorite button because one of my hobbies, and I suppose of many other people, is creating personal collections. It should be separate from an upvote/like button.