Doom e1m1 remake on Drummy's engine

I was curious about trying out making a level, so I made a rough demake of Doom’s E1M1, although Anarch’s fixed grid requires approximating a lot of the diagonal walls. The remake is missing 2 out of the 3 level secrets, and the remaining secret isn’t quite as secret now.

I found the current level editing method to be simple but actually pretty difficult to figure out. Still really impressive, especially considering the levels in the actual game. For example, level 7 had some clever design that surprised me at the end. I do also like how the level data in gif form actually shows a representation of the level and actually has all the level data in a mostly human readable format.

Here’s the map. I haven’t configured the repo to build for the pokitto yet, so I can’t provide a bin. If anybody wants to check it out, it was pretty easy to build the SDL version and replace the first map.

e1m1

9 Likes

This is something that needs to happen, just for the fun of it.

I will contribute something for sure (textures or something)

1 Like

@wuuf wow, this is an amazing job :slight_smile: Here is the bin:

firmware.bin (179.1 KB)

Now someone could substitute in the Doom textures and sprites. Doom 2 1st level would also be nice to see.

EDIT: I’ll make a short tutorial explaining the map creation.

3 Likes

@wuuff you really nailed it my friend! We sure need a tutorial for map creation, i sure hope ots not too hard to understand. Personally.just looking at the file i am already a bit confused after playing the level.

2 Likes

Here is a summary of what the map image means:

3 Likes

Heres a first draft that i did for enemies today in between jobs…

Normal guard
Level1_enemy

Normal guard shooting
Level1_enemy_Shooting

Normal guard dead
Level1_enemy_dead

Imp enemy
Level1_enemy2

6 Likes

These are great, but you’re making them from scratch? That’s too much work IMHO, just take the Doom sprites, downscale them, polish a little bit and there you go. Doom assets are copyrighted so I personally wouldn’t want to put too much effort in recreating them if you won’t be able to legally even use them.

2 Likes

Hey Miloslav, what is the quickest way to build the bin? In FemtoIDE?

1 Like

I use the Makefile, but I suppose you should be able to use whatever you like, just compile main_pokitto.cpp.

here are some sprites I’ve converted, taking a break now:

6 Likes