[Discuss] Universal Multi-Player Link Cable

If we use 3 cables, we could use 3 GPIO male-to-male cables, then use heat shrink tubing to lock them in place as well as make it look a bit easier on the eyes.

I was hoping there may be a place to get custom cables made since this could be so simple.

Not roadblocks, so much as issues that either don’t occur or are easily avoided in the non-distributed model.

1. Your data is distributed, which means it’s less tolerant of communications errors.
  2. There’s no single source of truth, so you need a way to deal with data disagreements.
  3. The design is inherently concurrent, so you need some mechanism for dealing with simultaneous changes (locking, STM, ?).
  4. It’s tempting to push the concurrency into a single instance of the program. Since all the data is shared in that environment, this is a worse idea than writing using only FORTRAN II flow control.

In the master/slaves model, there is no inherent concurrency. The master holds all the data, and is the single source of truth except for hardware state. You can deal with comm loss and data sync by sending all relevant data every update (master sends screen state, slaves send button states) though that’s a bit naive and inefficient.

i would disagree pluging limited wires it would put stress on those few pins and may break off and get stuck there
wile a solid connector like i showed spreads the load.

if the user has to wire it and has no idea what there doing they could destroy there devices crossing wires.

there is a connector made specifically for the PEX but due to the design of the case it can not be used since it locks over the pins

also found that you can buy these male plugs separate and they seem pretty easy to put your won wire layout on if you needed to cross wires

so this also means you can make the cable as long as you want (within reasonable distance but i think 30cm could be possible giving enough room for people to sit and play )

1 Like