I really like steampunk and simple arcade games, so I plan to make a version of Megumi Rescue with that kind of aesthetic. If you don’t know Megumi Rescue, it’s a japanese only Mark III (Master System) version of a cancelled arcade game. It’s a mix of Breakout and the Fire Game & Watch game.
First, I’ll make a prototype with dummy graphics in TAS mode in order to see if the idea is feasible. I’ll try to use standard tools this time (Tiled, Aseprite,…) instead of coding my own formats in order to finish in time
I’ve read about TAS mode and I’ve created a very simple mockup to test the idea. I made five 16x16 plain color tiles to build the stage in Tiled (11x20) and a 16x16 flashing sprite in Aseprite to test the conversion scripts.
Based on the default template, I’ve coded a simple animation that bounces the “player” and moves the camera to follow it. This is the result (it’s better on the emulator/device):
It seems smooth enough so I can move on
This is the source code (and the binary) so far if anyone wants to play with it: Steampunk Rescue.zip (93.1 KB)
I’ve refactored the code a bit and now I have entities, game logic and everything is a little bit more manageable. I’ve created sample tiles and placeholders for the player and the platform, and also a sidebar that mimics wood and steampunk gauges. It’s starting to look better (having 256 colors available is great), but it still needs a lot of work.
I’ve decreased level height because it’s complicated to move the platform if the player goes very high… but I also think that it makes the game more challenging. It’s a complicated balance between level complexity and good game mechanics…
I’ve created a GitHub repository if anyone wants to peek out the code:
I’ve improved the tileset and the sidebar and they look crisper now. I’ve also made another kind of platform in order to see it better in the bottom of the screen.
The code is a little bit improved, but now I’ve a weird bug with the player sprite. I’ve moved black from 0 to another index, and now index (transparent) is pink. In every other image I’ve tried color 0 is transparent when I draw the sprite (or if I use drawBitmap), but with the player I get either black pixels and when it should be transparent, or they show in pink if I use indexed color mode.
If anyone wants to investigate, the code is in the Github repo: