[DEVLOG] Steam driller

Yep … our resident artist.

2 Likes

DAY ++
The End is Coming!

Ok, quick recap. Music by Rafael have been finalized, and another awesome track have been added.
Please judge by yourself :smiley:

We worked on finalize the game, so adding that small details (actually some very big details) and game menu that show the advancement in game.

Game persistence will be quite important, and Cookie will be use to keep track of the advancement.

We have about 100 messages that will be used in the story and most of them have been filled.

Obviously there are some bugs that keep chasing us, but some friends is helping on killing the most hard :grin:
Here the super hero come to help the noob C++ developer

8 Likes

I’m feeling the track! This looks pretty cool

5 Likes

And Done!
Game submitted:

8 Likes

Well done!!

1 Like

Hm - i don’t get some things still;

• What is the number in the middle on the top?
  • What to do on the row with the red flashing squares?
  • How do i add log entries?
2 Likes

We probably should have put basic instructions on the itch.io game page.

Number at the top middle is the number at steam shot you still have, it resets to 5 as you touch the ground like in Downwell.

The logs are in the memory chips pressing up when next to them adds them directly as you read them.

Near the bosses room you have to steam shoot the detonator to get in

3 Likes

Brief tutorial:

The council that lead the world of tomorrow in a benevolent and protective way, have build a squad of robots to collect energy and resources deep in the earth . You mission is to dig some well and collect more resources exploring the darkest places, where some secrets are buried and some machines are acting in a strange way.
You’re an happy and efficient robot, willing to obey and work efficiently. Your memory is clean, and a clean memory doesn’t need to think about anything else.

• A Button, press once to jump. The more you press the more you jump. Press again while on air to shot down a steam bullet. After shooting you’ll stay on air for a brief time. Robot have 5 shoots (the number in the center) that automatically recharge when on ground.

• B activate slash mode, rising to maxium speed even at mid air. When Robot hit the walls at high speed, he can crash even solid rocks

• D Pad move left right, keep pressing down to see below.

• C enter in pause mode

• Robot energy (steam power is the white bar on top) is drained after hitting an enemy, or falling from too high, it also drain a little after every second.

• You’ll find some chip during your game, pressing up will read their contet:
    – Purple chips containg TIPS for the game
    – Red chips are more rare and contains important information about the story. Fighting bad guys is a good way to find them.

• The red pulsating tiles are strange, they blink in a way that resemble some kind of digital information. It seems like you can’t touch them, but there’s something hypnotic and dangerous inside. You should pay attention and look for something around them, they could lead you to more secrets.

3 Likes

Ah, much better, thanks.
When i push up at those game tip chips i can read them, but i don’t find them in my log

1 Like

The one at the surface doesn’t seem to save from what I’ve noticed.

1 Like

That’s a TIPS that change at every play. Is not saved on the logs, as is not relevant to the story… and ending.
But some tips are more fun then others, we write them at very last minute. With other messages, they were probably on of the most fun part of the development. But as always they come at very last minute.

Strange enough music wasn’t the last thing we implement, thanks to Rafael :smiley:

3 Likes

The overall audio on this one is incredible.

3 Likes

Yup the LibAudio from @FManga sounds much better then classic library. Also it is very easy to use.

My process in Audacity:
Imported the track I receive from Rafael in MP3, Normalize audio, apply some Compression and the export as raw file unsigned 8 Bit PCM.

Normalize:

Compress:

Export Audio:

7 Likes

I tried the game (the Punk jam version). The music is very good. I like the graphics too. Having a circle of light is a clever trick and looks nice. The basic mechanics works well. Having to press “jump” in the air to shoot down is a bit counter-intuitive but you get used to it easily. The in-game help could better as there are some questions and uncertainty at first. This discussion thread helped a lot! The game feels very original. There is quite a lot of depth in the game for a jam game. The game feels solid and professional. Good work!

3 Likes

Thanks to play the game and give a feedback.
Definetly we miss some instructions at first release.
It shouldn’t be necessary to press up to shoot while in air. It should be something like: press A on floor to jump, press it again while in air, to shoot down. Quite fun the up for shoot was rejected as counterintuitive after first play test.
Do you download the itch.io version right?

1 Like

Right, I corrected the shoot button.
I have the itch version which I downloaded when the jam ended.

3 Likes

I really like this game. The art, music, sound, and theme really go together well. The gameplay kind of reminds me of Downwell.

I do have to say that I did find some things frustrating. I kind of wish there was not fall damage, as it feels a bit unfair considering how fast you fall. For some reason I can’t tell where I take a lot of damage from during the boss battles, and it’s hard to see the boss attacks. The idea of the light getting darker as your health drops is good, but I feel like the view is already cramped before you get low health, so basically right before you die it’s down to luck whether you can find anything. Both you and enemy projectiles travel very fast, and you have to travel at mach speed when your health is low in the hopes of finding a health pickup, but you can’t see two inches in front of you. Your speed and constant health drain makes me want to play the game quickly, but constant dangers just out of view seem to encourage taking it slow and carefully. If the game wasn’t so fast paced, the limited visibility wouldn’t bother me so much. Also, maybe it would be nice if you could see above you if you hold up, because I have sometimes jumped up into enemies I couldn’t see.

Even though it sounds like I’m complaining, the game is very addictive, and it has that appeal of giving it just “one more try”. I got to the third boss and have found all the logs, and getting far into a run is really intense.

Also, after playing the game for a while, the title graphics vanished for a few rounds of gameplay before reappearing more than once. That was surprising.

5 Likes