[Game]Joe - PunkJam

I can hear it landing!

1 Like

Simple, yet beautiful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve got some more of the collision code working properly, starting on the level design. Can’t quite figure out which style tiles to use…

I don’t think that the blocks in the second screen work very well, I’m warming on the rocky ground of the last one though.

8 Likes

I would suggest you to try on Pokitto screen. Some artefacts could appear only on real hardware.
The style is great.

2 Likes

My wife suggested some more story telling was needed. So I added this sort of thing…

8 Likes

Hang on a minute, didn’t you already make this game once before?

I thought the graphics seemed familiar,
but it wasn’t until the mention of ‘hats’ and ‘Joe’ that it suddenly clicked.
(I still have the source code somewhere…)

3 Likes

Not sure but I think it never got released in the end.

1 Like

Almost.

Yeah, I abandoned it for the same reason I abandon most of my work. Once it ‘nearly’ works I get bored of it :frowning:

2 Likes

This morning I successfully added the ability to stream 2 audio files from the SD card at once. So now I can dump my 2 large sfx samples from flash and actually have enough space for my game again!

8 Likes

When it comes to level design, I’m useless. So for a nice cave system in my game, I resorted to the following -

Generate some random caves with an online generator (modified the code to fit my size needs) https://jeremykun.com/2012/07/29/the-cellular-automaton-method-for-cave-generation/
used img2pok to convert the image into an array.

Then opened my .tmx map in notepad++, pasted the array data into my background layer, opened it up in TileEd…

Bingo! now just to edit it by hand and make sure it’s 100% usable :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Great way of doing it … I can see some ‘islands’ in that map. Might just need to join a few things up but totally usable.

Got around to actually indicating to the player which items have been collected, no I can actually tell if the game is possible…

7 Likes

Had some people doing testing, it’s about ready for upload :slight_smile:
I’ll wait a little for more feedback fist though, just in case.

• Added rumble support for users with DIY rumble hat or official joystick hat !
6 Likes

Oh, a map… That seems handy :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Uploaded and ready to play - see first post

7 Likes

The music, the graphics, the story, very nice indeed :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A cracking intro. Really, really looking forward to this game

2 Likes

Updated my Jam entry, please re-download if you need to :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A very nice game! The startup is ingenious, for a moment I thought Pokitto was freezing :-). I would like to have an option to skip the startup and intro​. I really like the simplistic B&W graphics. The story and music are superb. After I got the top hat I can not always easily turn the world to negative. It requires some combination of the A button and arrows near the dome(?). The map is quite big for a a jam game and I like the tiny details in the graphics. This is a very inventive and original looking game. When I get to the bottom right corner in the map there seems to be no way out any more (?).

1 Like

Just press up. It’s a regular platformer style door :stuck_out_tongue:
The bottom corner is where the ending takes place once you have all of the items. Without the items it will tell you you can’t enter.

2 Likes