Bonjour from Paris, France

Always an option:

2 Likes

AI for Blobby Volley should be easy to do, throwing a few math and maybe some RNG. The real fun of BV was always multiplayer tho, sooooā€¦

Ahah thatā€™d take out some fun if you did, as youā€™re much more skilled than I am!

For the external button, yeah itā€™s very simple, yet itā€™s still a requirement that might not be fulfilled in every situation -like riding a train. So as much as possible, Iā€™d like to make games that only use what the Pokitto provide by default, and then extend them with PEX.

But I got to do it to know best anyway!

As a side note, is there any attempt to establish reliable communication between two pokitto, like the old link cable for the gameboy and so? Unless I buy another one that wonā€™t work much for me, but making it kind of standard (as an optional module from the Pokitto API) could open the following things:

• Emulating multiples Pokitto and let them talk for testing by showing both, using differents threads and mapping more keys/controller buttons.
  • Could be great for education package, as theyā€™re going to have multiple Pokitto already!
  • Of course, multiplayer games / musics apps!

As of C++11 youā€™ve got a whole array of engines to chose from :P

https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/numeric/random

This is why we really need to invest in some hats.
If there was a standardised ā€œextra buttonā€ hat then you could just tell people ā€œrequires the extra button hatā€ instead of giving them a wiring diagram.

I started trying to connect my Pokitto to an Arduino board but didnā€™t get around to ordering the 3.3v to 5v bridge.
I have got a spare board so I might just go for it and risk the potential damage, but Iā€™d rather not waste my spare board if I can avoid it.
(Aparently some of the pins are 5v tolerant, but some arenā€™t, and some are but only under certain circumstances. Iā€™ll check the document again sometime, but it was very confusing.)

I could try to develop something on my spare board, but it doesnā€™t have a screen so Iā€™d be flying blind (and Iā€™m not sure how well it would run without the screen - it might end up waiting for a response from the screen that never comes).

I hope to acquire a second Pokitto soonish, so maybe Iā€™ll investigate something then.

Really it should be as simple as hooking up N input pins to N output pins.
The trick is picking the right pins (I believe thereā€™s a way to treat multiple pins as a single parallel unit),
and then selecting/devising a decent communication system.
(If I can find some decent docs I might even be able to base it on the GB/GBA link cable.)

1 Like

Ahhh donā€™t worry, Iā€™m started using to those engines and distributions for a bit less than a year haha thanks anyway!

Yeah hats definitely deserve time to invest into!

Ah right, that could become handy to try with an arduino first! You could maybe use the debugger for running on the other board? but I donā€™t know if thatā€™d would even start this way

1 Like

Welcome. I am looking forward to your concepts!

1 Like

Itā€¦ does? I never noticed this. Itā€™s a PokittoLib feature? o_O

Maybe change it so the back button (below the reset button) adjusts volume, then youā€™re free to use the C button.

1 Like

I hope I wonā€™t disappoint!

Well according to the poster itā€™s the case!
Maybe it changed and the poster wasnā€™t updated. I assumed it was somehow hard-wired because its presence on a poster makes it kind of permanent?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve looked into them a lot but havenā€™t actually used them yet.
Oddly I find that I donā€™t often need random numbers.

Iā€™m tempted to start a thread for hat ideas.
If I had more 3D printing knowledge then Iā€™d try to develop a simple hat.

Iā€™d need to get a debugger cable first,
and Iā€™d probably end up connecting the debugger to the PEX rather than the ports at the back, so it might not be ideal.

Iā€™ll find a way to test someday.
It would be interesting to know if Pokitto boards can run ā€˜headlessā€™ without modifying the library.

This surprised me to, I discovered it when I was looking into ways to improve the Button library for a v2 of the PokittoLib.

Nope, itā€™s done in software.

3 Likes

great idea

3 Likes

To clarify, the ā€˜Flashā€™ button (as it is labelled on the poster, what FManga calls the ā€˜backā€™ button),
does it currently only do something if you hold it down while turning the Pokitto on?
I.e. it wonā€™t do anything if you randomly press or tap it while the Pokitto is on?

Because I know tapping ā€˜Resetā€™ will put the Pokitto into USB mode.

The only downside I can see to this is if someone tries to adjust the sound but hits ā€˜Resetā€™ by mistake.
But it might be worth it.

Funny story: originally I thought ā€˜Cā€™ was going to be like a ā€˜homeā€™ button and thought we couldnā€™t use it in our programs.

Which brings me to one last question: why is it called ā€˜Cā€™ and not ā€˜Startā€™ or ā€˜Selectā€™?

1 Like

Ah, I didnā€™t know it had a name. :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™ve been using it as a select button in the gameboy emulator, hasnā€™t caused any problemsā€¦ though hitting reset accidentally is a risk.

1 Like

I intended to use the C button solely as a SELECT/PAUSE one.
If it depends on the library, Iā€™d suggest making it the default behavior, and hijack it with a #define. That way we can have the freedom to handle the volume in our own menu systems, and use that button for other things.

Sooo I guess the control scheme for the Blobby Volley game could be the following:

2 Players:

• LEFT/RIGHT - Move Player 1ā€™s Blob.
  • UP - Make Player 1ā€™s Blob jump.
  • B/A - Move Player 2ā€™s Blob.
  • C - Make Player 2ā€™s Blob jump.
  • DOWN - Game Pause/Menu (thatā€™d might have to be strongly) with a nice scroll-down transition.

Game Pause:

• UP at the top - Resume Game with a nice scroll-up transition.
  • UP/DOWN - Select Item
  • A - Select Option
  • LEFT-RIGHT - Change current Optionā€™s value.

Hmm yeah, I think I can see this better now. Also could be used for more local-multip games actually. Will still try the A-then-B or B-then-A to jump just for fun

(Also having a weird idea of doing a kind of finger twister but that might end up breaking the pokitto haha)

If we ever get round to having a v2 of the library (which I hope we do) then Iā€™d like all settings to be defined by a class/struct type thatā€™s passed as a template argument to the library.
That way to alter the settings you create a new struct/class that inherits the original set with a few modifications.

E.g.

// Library code
namespace Pokitto
{
	struct DefaultSettings
	{
		static constexpr VolumeBehaviour volumeBehaviour = VolumeBehaviour::CAndLeftOrRight;
		static constexpr GraphicsMode graphicsMode = GraphicsMode::Hires;
		// etc
	};
}

// User Code
struct MySettings : public Pokitt::DefaultSettings
{
	static constexpr VolumeBehaviour volumeBehaviour = VolumeBehaviour::None;
};

using Core = Pokitto::Core<MySettings>;
using Core::Display;
using Core::Buttons;

Much more flexible, and itā€™s done at the language level instead of the preprocessor level.
You can even static_assert for invalid settings.

1 Like

Ah yes, of course templates would be a great things to do for that!