Battery free gameboy?

Here’s an odd proof-of-concept…

5 Likes

nice concept, but still… no sound because it costs too much energy, thats kinda of a dealbreaker.

1 Like

I was watching a docuseries (is that a word now?) on Netflix called High Score and in one of the episodes they talk about how Audio (music and sfx) is paramount to immersion in the game world, in that it gives you feedback as to what is happening on the screen.

It totally makes sense too (this coming from me that audio is an unfortunate afterthought in all my development due to not always having speakers lol)

1 Like

I have been watching that too! The Japanese guy who they feature making sounds is a master … and I think he is right, sounds make the game.

3 Likes

And yet so many programmers don’t care about it :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’m one of those people who struggle to play a game if I can’t here the sound properly. If for example the TV is turned down too low, then I can’t time my jumps correctly in super mario…

1 Like

I actually haven’t been playing many desktop games because I haven’t bought replacement speakers yet. I haven’t noticed the correlation until just now. You are so right!

Sound’s important for navigating 3D environments because it can alert you to sources of danger, hence I probably wouldn’t want to play something like Skyrim without sound, but I don’t mind not having sound if the sound isn’t important to the gameplay.

If I’ve got headphones to hand I might use the sound on my Pokitto, but generally I turn the sound off on my Pokitto or my Arduboy.

I remember when I used to play on my GBA and the battery was running low I would turn the sound off and the battery would last at least another half an hour or more.

1 Like

Because its hard and the average programmer doesn’t have these skills!

I used to do the intro/gameover music of this one:

but… doesn’t count as I’m musician :slight_smile:

3 Likes