3D printer recommendation

Ok I’ve wanted one for two years and may be able to finally get I e, can anyone recommend a good in expensive printer?
This is the one I was looking at
Creality Ender 3 3D Printer with Resume Printing Function for Home & School Use 220x220x250mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FFTHMMN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1nc0DbW78608V

Mainly it would be to build my pip boy, and probably print things for Robbie.

2 Likes

Take care of one thing. Read user reviews / experiences of print head level calibration for the model of printer you intend to buy

I can not stress enough that the accurate & easy levelling is the single most important thing in making a) the model “stick” to the bed b) getting layers to fuse properly (instead of making tiny spaghetti)

4 Likes

Is there one you’d recommend from your experience?

1 Like

The first one I bought was a DaVinci Jr… a very basic printer BUT with a feature that more expensive printers did not have: auto level calibration

Maybe it was just luck but I had very few failed prints

My Prusa makes much better prints but if I move it at all, I have to recalibrate and its a pain in the butt

2 Likes

As a side note, on the topic of 3D printing, Finnish public libraries are incredible. They began to transform as digitalization became evident. Instead of just books, libraries in Finland typically have:

• 3D printers
  • sewing machines
  • all musical instruments to loan
  • music practise rooms
  • fully decked studios for recording music
  • video editing studios
  • game console rooms
  • excercise equipment to loan (!)

… in addition to the Switch, Xbox, PS4 and other stuff you can borrow

3D printing costs 1€ per print, meaning buying a printer makes no sense unless its your hobby

5 Likes

I’d be surprised if my local library is still open.
If it is, I bet the computers are all still running Windows XP (if they even have computers).
(Technically it would sort of have excercise equipment,
but only by virtue of the fact it’s tacked on to a sports centre.)

The local college has 3D printers, but they’re not usable by the general public.
There’s also a small group of ‘makers’ who rent a workshop who have some 3D printers,
but I don’t know what fees they charge for printing things,
or whether they require a membership before they let you print things.
As far as I’m aware there are no other 3D printing facilities where I live.

1 Like

We have a maker space less than 3 miles from my house but they want way more monthly than I can afford for membership and you have to supply your own raw materials. I wish my local
Library was Finnish , lol. Too bad the social climate in the us is so toxic because of the rampant corrupt politicians.
I will look at the Davinci ty

1 Like

So the da Vinci are not prime eligible, but I found this.

Monoprice Mini Delta 3D Printer With Heated (110 x 110 x 120 mm) Build Plate, Auto Calibration, Fully Assembled for ABS & PLA + Free MicroSD Card Preloaded With Printable 3D Models https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJQ3D6L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Nrm0DbVYRGFQF

Not going to lie to you, that one gives me alot of red flags. The bed is very small but whats worse, people are reporting (check out the 1-star reviews on Amazon) the kind of problems that may make you regret your purchase.

I have looked at the following site before, and it has appeared to me they know what they are talking about. They update a list of best 3D printers in all price caregories (check out the section “under 200$”.

1 Like

Stop. Stop. Stop. I was wrong!

The original link you sent was the Creality Ender 3 recommended by All3DP.

I should have read about it better

It seems you may have been right @BigBadHodad right from the beginning!

Sorry for confusing you!

Edit: the Creality Ender 3 is cheap BUT it has a large fanbase & lots of mods and tutorials. You may need to tinker a bit to get the best results, but based on your soldering adventures I think you are more than handy enough.

2 Likes

Personnatly i’m seeking the more sized printing (for litlle one print the ENDER 3 have the best ratio price/quality) and for that :
Artillery Sidewinder X1 (actually v4 but waiting v5 soon (auto leveling ect…)) really good printed nice community and really good quality with silence :slight_smile: (if you have a critere like me) http://artillery3d.com/
or
the Magma 250 (lot of revision and upgrade) https://3donline.be/magma/754-imprimante-3d-magma-250.html
ALL axe vith linear RAIL that awesome
Limit capteur optical (no switch)
Autoleveling bed with new sensor (so you can change the buze and autoleveling work)
Silence :wink:

For those who have some time to tweak (or love tweak) Alfawise U20 have good community and hack :wink:

1 Like

Well that’s the one I’ll go with, yes I like the idea of an enclosed printer because little fingers attached to my boy, but he’s pretty good about not touching stuff if I tell him to leave it alone, and with as many people as I know wanting stuff printed it could possibly pay for itself.

1 Like

If it was my first printer, I would get a original prusa :stuck_out_tongue:

They really care about the product.

If money was not a factor, I would get an Ultimaker. But the Creality is also a nice option. If you want to tinker, get the cheapest aliexpress one :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I ordered the creakily, the other one I looked at in the same price range said as soon as you set it up you have to print off two parts for the thing, and I thought th at a little odd.

so I have been working with the printer all day, and IM super frustrated, it won’t print anything, I am using cura, and it has the printer in the settings, but nothing I run through it will work,

well, here is the skinny, the printer was nice, solid, felt professionally designed, but, halfway through the first print, it stopped, everything was moving but no filament was being printed, so I reset it started something new, nothing, it would only print a line down the side of the bed, it would warm up, say heating was done, but then nothing, so, , , it is on its way back to amazon, and Im just gonna wait a few more years until they become more user friendly, and concentrate on my soldering kits and learning how arduino ide works, I really like when I find code for arduino that is annotated and tells me what it does I can figure it out then.

again thank you all for your help, I regret that it didn’t work, and that I wasted your time with the advice, just got to chalk it up to something I was not meant to do, (and I really wanted to print off the d pad mod for my pokitto >:( )