[Game]Matti's Nightmare

This is a nightmare themed surrealistic platform game for Pokitto. The name, “Matti’s Nightmare”, is a homage to Matt Smith, the creator of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy. It is also in memory of Matti Nykänen, who was the greatest ski jumper, and worst singer of all :slight_smile:

matti

The latest version can be found in itch.io. The reason for that is because I want to get more visibility to Pokitto outside the Pokitto forums. Here:

image image

6 Likes

Weird, I did put the .raw file on the root but still no music…

Edit: nevermind looks like the headphone jack is faulty on the Pokitto. But works if I slightly pull it out. Sounds awesome! Can’t wait for the full game.

2 Likes

I think technically the end on the headphone is the jack, the bit on the Pokitto is the headphone port or socket.

Heaphone jacks, headphone ports and headphones in general are notoriously prone to breaking.
They were actually invented in the 19th century, so I’m surprised someone hasn’t invented something better yet.

One of the headphone jacks on my computer is broken.
I can’t be bothered to fix it because it’s fiddly to get at,
so I use a pair of naff headphones plugged into one of the speaker jacks at the back as an extension lead and plug my headphones into that.

Not ideal, but it’s effective.

Nope. The headphone side is the plug. The Pokitto has a socket or jack.

From Wikipedia:

In the UK, the terms jack plug and jack socket are commonly used for the respective male and female phone connectors. In the US, a stationary (more fixed) electrical connector is called a jack. The terms phone plug and phone jack are sometimes used to refer to different genders of phone connectors, but are also sometimes used to refer to RJ11 and older telephone plugs and the corresponding jacks that connect wired telephones to wall outlets.

So apparently ‘jack’ is used for both.

A small update.

• Gold and heart meters, sound effect for jump and losing heart.

6 Likes

Can you reach the soda?

matti (2).bin (172.5 KB)

3 Likes

Did you fix the tile collision detection? In the other version the character was falling thru the edge of the platform even though he was touching the platform :wink:

Tried the game, was able to get the soda and then jumped out of the game screen and fell forever lol. Collision detection seems off a lot still. Love the music and style!

2 Likes

Making graphics for the next room.
matti

Try to guess the theme or name of the next room :wink:

3 Likes

3 Likes

Yars Revenge?

4 Likes

I have never played the game, but I remember the cover art. it is really cool.

I did this just for fun :slight_smile:

Btw. It is terrible to try to draw with the mouse!

5 Likes

Well that’s what I use every day :wink:

Looks good!

1 Like

The trick is to draw by hand on paper, scan that in and then trace it. :P

1 Like

Really? You must mean vector type of graphics not freehand graphics?

Yes, it is much easier that way.

1 Like

At work I mostly do vector graphics,yes. But all my pixel art is also done all with the mouse as well.

I admit that for bigger art, drawing first on paper freehand and then scanning and use it as a guide when you convert to pixel can be usefull.

2 Likes

Likewise, when I do pixel art it’s all done with the mouse.

I’ve never actually done the scanning thing for pixel art, but I’ve done it in other situations.
(Like the poster I made for the Pok15 contest that ended up getting delayed indefinitely.)

A refined version:

It also has different kind of dithering.

2 Likes