Update limited to 19 frames per second?

Is Pokitto limited to 19 frames per second or something? Is this something I can adjust?

Even an empty app seems to be unable to go above that limit:

Edit:

I found mygame.setFrameRate(60); but that only seems to affect the simulation, not real hardware.

From different Topic:

so it looks like it.

1 Like

So HIRES has the same performance limitations as Mode13, of ~20fps on real Hardware?

Yes and no. It depends on the game complexity. And, @FManga has demonstrated that unpacking the palette into ram may be able to boost fps by ~50%

But with the basic setup (just defaults with HIRES=1 and ) would you expect an “empty” program to be running at 19fps on Pikitto Hardware? That is what I am seeing, and I am not sure if that is expected.

Basically, I am trying to port a Pico8 platforming game to Pokitto, and trying to figure out what resolution I should be running at if I wish to achieve at least 30fps (ideally 60). And it seems like HIRES starts at 20fps, even with just a blank screen.

// THIS PROGRAM RUNS AT 19FPS ON PIKITTO HARDWARE

#ifndef MY_SETTINGS_H
#define MY_SETTINGS_H

#define PROJ_HIRES 1            //1 = high resolution (220x176) , 0 = low resolution fast mode (110x88)
#define PROJ_ENABLE_SOUND 0     // 0 = all sound functions disabled
#define PROJ_SHOW_FPS_COUNTER 1
#endif

int main ()
{
    mygame.begin();
    mygame.setFrameRate(60);  // not sure if this does anything on real hardware
    platformer._init();
    while (mygame.isRunning())
    {
        if (mygame.update())
        {
        }
    }
    return 0;
}

Did you see this? It’s still in progress, but it could be used as a base for a platformer. 220x176 with 256 colors at ~40fps. Storing 256-color tiles/sprites can be tricky, though.