The montly competition ideas?

Hi,

We have some rare :wink: gorgeous physical Pokitto Magazines which we cannot sell, because the page 18 is missing. Otherwise, they are good. You can always read the missing page in the free downloadable magazine.

I was thinking of having them as monthly competition prizes. So, what kind of competitions we could have?

Think of a game weā€™d really like to see on the pokitto. Say, remake Balloon Fight. Best remake wins a magazine and gets to pick next monthā€™s remake.

4 Likes

The usual thingsā€¦

Specific Genre
Specific fixed palette with X amount of colours
Limited controls (one button for example)

Instead of having competitions, we could just encourage people to make games and each month pick one or two released games to be awarded a prize.

E.g. funnest game (of the month), craziest game (of the month), best first game.

Though if it is competition based then I think itā€™s best to stick to having some kind of theme but allowing people flexibility (like using the programming language of their choice).

I find abstract themes work the best.
E.g. ā€œspaceā€, ā€œJapanā€, ā€œsnowā€, ā€œdeathā€, ā€œfire & iceā€, ā€œmonkeysā€, ā€œEscheresqueā€

That could work well.

Restricting everyone to the CGA palette would be funny.

3 Likes

A good suggestion! One category could be: ā€œThe best documentation effortā€ (tutorial/API doc, etc).

Edit: If some category do not have any entries in a month it is just skipped.

2 Likes

Ok, so it would be max 3 magazine prizes for each month:

• ā€œBest documentation / tutorial effortā€
  • ā€œBest first gameā€
  • ā€œBest gameā€

The community can vote for these each month.

Is this ok?

Should the winner pay for the postage costs (4.60 euros to Europe, 6.50 euros to the rest of the world)?

1 Like

Is that per magazine or for all three?
Would it be cheaper to ship 12 magazines every 3 months?

That is per magazine. In Finland, the posting costs are very high. I do not know of any group posting options, at least not for normal customers.

1 Like

Thatā€™s unfortunate.

Iā€™m guessing Pokitto Oy canā€™t afford to spend ā‚¬13.80-ā‚¬19.50 each month,
in which case it looks like the cost will have to fall on the ā€˜winnerā€™, which isnā€™t idealā€¦

And Iā€™m guessing paying part of the postage cost probably wouldnā€™t be viable either.