Pokitto is on the way, what games should I make?

One idea I’ve been playing with was something like this:

Pokitbeasts 3D maybe? :smiley:

BTW if you want to start something based on my engine, you can do it even now, no need to wait for “official” release. There’s no warranty, lots of things are WIP and the API can change, but if you’re okay with it, there’s nothing stopping you. (On the other hand waiting for a bit till I fix most stuff will probably save a lot of trouble, so it’s up to anyone.)

3 Likes

Cool stuff you re making! I really like the terminal demo. This one is probably running on a pc and not on the Pokitto? It reminds me of the Matrix.

lol ok thats an idea, but i do like the other prersented stuff aswell

for starting some games already or atleast content, sprite size and size of wall tile size would be helpfull to know. and can walls be on angles or are they always in a grid?

i like to look of the science finction style test and like i said before airlocks would be a way around level loading

this would not stop use from putting both games in a similar universe and pokitbeast could be present an element, though having some sort of rpg light shooting or inventory puzzling sound like fun in a 3D spaceship maze

I remember playing a TF2 map like that…

That’s precisely why I’m waiting.
When it’s done I’ll tear it up and C++-ify it :P

(I have a very particular idea of a certain game that I would like to make using a raycasting engine that has around 3-4 levels of height to it.)

(Presumably CC0 means I have to release it under the same licence right? Or could I shove MIT or Apache 2.0 on top?)

That’s assuming I get round to it.

I still have the Arduboy2 port to finish.
I’ve been too tired these last few days to make much progress.

𝅘𝅥𝅮 So much to do, so much to see… 𝅘𝅥𝅮

1 Like

Pokittomon?

Pokitbeasts :wink: but yes basically that

It means the opposite :smiley: Use any license you want.

My personal wish is it remains free software, under whatever license – I’d probably choose MIT because it’s simpler, but really I want to give the users all the freedoms including licensing. The reason I use CC0 is simply that for all intended purposes I really don’t need any reserved rights.

I know this more than anyone, don’t worry, there’s no expectations or obligations, all just hypothetical talk :slight_smile:

Only grid so far. I wanted to have 45 degree walls as well but dropped that for now. Each square has an arbitrary floor and ceiling height. The drawing system is similar to fragment/pixel shaders – you give the library a function that will be drawing pixels to Pokitto screen. The library will then render the scene and hand info about each pixel (coordinates, distance/depth, wall/floor, texture coords etc.) to your function to handle the pixel, so you can process it in any way you want.

1 Like

Amazing FPSes! I know it is really hard to squeeze this kind of performance out of Pokitto.

Aaaaalright, I’ve figured out the floor formula :slight_smile: (Haven’t normalized sizes by screen height.) There’s one minor bug I want to focus on, but that’s irrelevant now.

I’d like to present you the updated bins:

demo1.bin (70.2 KB)

demo2.bin (66.2 KB) <— with floor texture

demo2_no_floor_super_fast.bin (65.8 KB) <— just a mirror effect on floor, close to 60 FPS

(not posting demo3, hasn’t changed much)

Check it out on your Pokittos if you want :slight_smile: In demo 2 I have a lotta compile time settings to try out. With lower settings you can double the X resolution.

2 Likes

Very impressive. I can’t help thinking though, that it might benefit from some sort of analog control, a trackball or joystick hat for example.

1 Like

That would be wonderful experience! Imagine a 3D racing game with the joystick.

That reminds me, we need this for Pokitto:

I used to be a Trackmania addict :frowning:

3 Likes

Stunt Car Racer was my favourite!

4 Likes

Hmm I suddenly recall someone makes a 3d game for the old gamebuino but for the life of my I can’t remember what it’s was called, it was definitely some sort of flat polygon rendering

testing all the demo’s, there some trouble with sprites draw order in demo1
do love the jump, and the moving floor stretching the tiles just cought me chucling at how that looked (its amazing)
i guess that needs to have some sort of tileing flag instead of stretching the graphic

in demo 2 the floor impressed me allot on both versions the mirror finish look is realy interesting
also i find it funny the doors always open from the left (do find that the doors alway colide with the bullet)

i dont think the controls are that bad at all with the dpad, the abilaty to strafe is well implemented and natural to use, i think you can do some prety good combat with this

1 Like

OMG I just remember I’ve seen something like that on Gamebuino META Kickstarter. Here it is (left)!

Totally need this.

Could you capture it somehow? :slight_smile: Or at least describe how to reproduce it.

I’m afraid it’s simply inaccuracy of the engine – there is only 1D Z-buffer and the sprites are sorted with bubble sort over multiple frames, so you’ll sometimes see weird stuff. People may be able to improve on this as sprite rendering wasn’t specifically the focus of my library. I offer world geometry rendering and helper functions such as mapping the sprite 3D position to screen position, but the rest (drawing, scaling, visibility) is left for the library users.

I thought it was a mockup

EDIT: somebody correct if I am wrong

1 Like

http://legacy.gamebuino.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3728
Might be helpful

1 Like

I think so, though looks not far from a complete playable game. If the code was somewhere, I’d like to make it run on Pokitto. I bet even if you find the code there will be no license, so it’ll remain all up to me again to reinvent this from scratch I guess :slight_smile:

Such super awesome project – completely different approach, using vectors – no textures but definitely must be fast as hell to draw.

But as I say, no license anywhere to be found. :slight_smile: Oh well.

Well can always look at it’s process and how they optimize it,
https://onelonecoder.com/2018/07/29/code-it-yourself-3d-graphics-engine-part-2-normals-culling-lighting-object-files/
Video tutorial of a guy making similar stuff

I also have some old polygon engine somewhere writen in Lua

1 Like

I’m not really a tutorial person, but it’s always good to have these resources around, just in case, so thanks :slight_smile:

I usually know the general techniques used in CG and have some experience with OpenGL and a few engines. What I lack is knowledge of microcontrollers and experience with low level optimization. That’s where I feel I’m learning the most right now.

Then share with us, I’d love to see it :slight_smile: If you scroll through this thread I’ve linked to a simple 3D engine in C that I would possibly like to port to Pokitto.

Or maybe you could try if you want – in the meantime, until I finish my engine. You have experience with graphics when you’ve written your own engine, right?