Making a Minicraft Clone (Blocky World)

Cannot wait! 20 characters

Umm…I don’t really get what you’re saying here :confused:

Anyway, here come some progress updates.

I redid terrain generation, adding “biome groups.” Now forests are clumped together, for example. I also added two new biomes: the ocean and the desert!

I also completely redid block placing to add support for items, as well as making players break things with B. I added the shovel, which breaks the floor block underneath the player, and allows placement of new floor blocks.

In addition to all this, I added some water animation, and also animations for the player in water!

Finally, I added some “man-made” blocks: stone bricks, sandstone bricks, wooden planks, and wood logs. I added both wall and floor versions of each.

It’s been a while since the last GIF, so I made one so big that I had to split it up into 6 parts.

A house idea (sorry for bad framerate, had to lower file size):

Exploring a little town I made (again, had to lower size):

Placing floor blocks:

Placing wall blocks:

Into the desert (showcases dead bush glitch):

Building some desert ruins:

4 Likes

Comments must be more than 20 character :smile:

4 Likes

Oh :stuck_out_tongue: And now I have to boost myself past the 20 character limit…

2 Likes

Early days but already looking very good.

Thanks! I just added a rudimentary GUI…I’m having a weird problem with it, so I posted it here

EDIT: CRAP! I spelled “weird” wrong! I suck at typing :joy:

2 Likes

I cannot wait to get to play this!
@jonne when will I be able to order one of these amazing little things and play this awesome game ?!

Time to hype you up even more with a mockup of a cave, I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for being excited for the game! It means a lot to me :slight_smile:

I need to add some survival mechanics (crafting, enemies, mining, chopping down trees, etc.) before I release it…hopefully within the next couple of weeks :wink:

I’m going to have one last name vote tomorrow after I make some title screens…the game will officially have a name tomorrow :smiley:

And wow, I used a lot of emojis in this post :joy:

2 Likes

I already know my vote: Pocket Craft (or Pokitt Craft)

Emoticons are superior :P

1 Like

Speaking of which… am I allowed to tweet about this project and if so, whats your Twitter handle ?

2 Likes

Feel free to tweet this! My handle is @epicdude312.

1 Like

First of all, I’ll mention everybody who voted in the last poll so they know that this one is the real deal:
@mougino @VonBednar @Hanski @spinal @BigBadHodad @jonne @Pharap @crait @SexyNinjaMonkey @Rakkachi

Next, the title screens I came up with:

I’m definitely not doing Minicraft for Pokitto (only 1 person voted for it). Most people voted for PokittoCraft, but I kinda like Blocky World, so I decided I’d give it a chance.

Please feel free to vote for your favorite title below. I’m making a new poll because I think some people’s opinions may be influenced by the title screen.

• PokittoCraft
  • Blocky World

0 voters

Also, a couple new cave mockups (with the original cave mockup in comparison):

And finally, some new stuff in-game!

The mountains:

The mountains are, by default, just a bunch of stone. However, mining that stone may reveal either coal or stairs down into the first level of the cave!

The cave:

In the cave, you can find iron and coal. You can also find stairs back up to the overworld, or stairs down into the second level.

I haven’t added using stairs yet…that’ll come soon (possibly tomorrow).

4 Likes

Okay, I decided what title to use…

And the winner is… (scroll down past these screenshots to see):

Yep, the game is now called Blocky World! The final vote was 50-50, but my mother’s vote of Blocky World boosted that title to victory. I kinda preferred Blocky World anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, I may work on this tomorrow, but I might have to wait until Friday :frowning:

Thanks to everyone who voted! It was a close match…

5 Likes

And the caves are done!

Now it’s time to take a journey to the center of the earth. (I’m sorry, that wasn’t a good pun)

Also, sorry for the horrendous framerate. The game runs about 3x as smoothly as this, I just had to chop down the file size.

As you can see, stairs now take you to the next cave level (or the previous, if they’re stairs up). Also, this showcases the glitch at the edge of the map. Because I’m drawing directly to the screen, the LCD does not clear every frame. This can be fixed by adding a boundary to the world beyond which the player cannot move.

Also, this is now using up a lot of memory (too much for HW). I’m going to get gameplay done first, then begin optimizations. I might end up having to ask @jonne (A.K.A. the person who knows the most about the HW because he designed it) for a little help eventually :stuck_out_tongue:

Finally, here’s some screenshots I took:

The mother lode (Perlin noise generation FTW!):

Underground lake/river/whatever:

epicdude312 tried to swim in lava (and it worked!):

4 Likes

I strongly advise you to do an intermediate test.

It is much nicer to design with limitations in mind than make something grandiose and then have to cut huge chunks off.

2 Likes

I agree too. Simulators usually offer “limitless” performance and memory resources compared to a real embedded HW. It is easy to go wrong.

2 Likes

Oh my goodness, that looks more than great, i just hope im able to get a pokitto to play it on.

Will there be creatures?
I would suggest using traditional mythical monsters
Good kobolds who mine and are benevolent
Naughty goblins who just try to steal and run away ect.

There will definitely be monsters in the future! The first mobs I’ll probably add will be slimes and zombies, in true Minicraft fashion. I probably will also add goblins, exclusive to the cave layer with gold :slight_smile:

EDIT: Welp, we’ve got an extremely high like to post ratio now :slight_smile: Thanks, everyone! I’m glad you’re enjoying my work :slight_smile: (wow, I used that emoji a lot…)

4 Likes

Awesome work. Exciting stuff :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s been a while, since I kinda took a hiatus from this game…I was too burnt out after a month of coding :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I’m back working on this! I didn’t have time today to actually do any code, and probably won’t until Friday, but I made some mockups featuring enemies!

These actually double as mockups for a lighting system – light level 0 is pitch black, level 1 is a darker form of the ordinary textures, and level 2 is the ordinary textures that I’ve been using. Torches and lava act as light sources, and the player emits a small amount of light.

You can see various colors of slimes and zombies in the mockups, as well as skeleton archers and warriors. The warriors are holding little swords :slight_smile:

Feel free to tell me what you think! I’m considering darkening light level 1 to make it a better transition into pitch black.

5 Likes