IPS replacement screen

Try holding the Pokitto farther from your eyes. Fixes the problem for me.

1 Like

Holding the Pokitto far away is not something I can do. I have myopia since childhood and now my eyes are starting to get stale (43 years old) so I would need to buy monitor glasses to do that.

Right now I have to remove the glasses to be able to use small screens and that gives me a very narrow distance of focus between 15 and 15 cm from my eyes.

I would agree that that is my problem if most screens had the issue, but all small screens in the world are compatible with old age eye sight except the Pokitto because the screen was designed for vertical use and in the Pokitto it is placed horizontally.

To give you a metaphor of how wrong that is, it’s like driving a British car with the steering-wheel on the right side with traffic on the left side! Which is not illegal because the rules are crap but not something I would enjoy doing.

1 Like

luba-gameboy

1 Like

I’d imagine a matte screen improves the situation, instead of making it worse.
Maybe adding another one on top would make it better?

@FManga and @rupy … one thing that probably would work is a duplicated screen

If I ever would have time, I could make a split adapter for two screens and stick them into a thing like this:

I think @FManga suggestion should be tested.

It’s a shame the screen hasn’t got the same horizontal and vertical resolution (as in Pico-8). It would be pretty straightforward to add support to existing games for both portrait and landscape orientation.

TrelemarHat

1 Like

I have managed to remove the matte from the screen

end result: you can not see any pixels anymore

edit: I am sorry, I am very busy right now, I cant go into more detail

Dang!

I need to see some pictures of that screen when you get the time! Xo

The joyhat only needs the joystick if you hold it the other way around?

Unless you are making a FPS, but I doubt the processor could handle it!

And then you would need a shoulder button!

Hm, ok but what does it look like when you power it?

Is it just broken now?

Completely transparent. There is an image, but it will not show. Its because there is no more reflection behind the LCD crystals

Well, depends how in depth you go. I mean have you had a look here: at this topic?

1 Like

But why did you remove the back?

The “matte” is between the backlight and the glass.

I just took it apart as far as I could

I’ve got the same problem (My brain goes haywire already when watching the gray bars on the volume selection) and is mainly the reason my Pokitto is catching dust.

I noticed that the effect is less when I turn Pokitto 180 degrees (probably my other eye is less sensetive).

Is there any information available about the LCD pinout and pitch of the FPC cable ?

I know this is a somewhat older topic but the hardware hasn’t changed so I thought I’d give my recommendation as I’ve had similar issues (with LCD’s in general even as I have astigmatism).

For me tilting slightly down on the left helps a bit, however I found that if I instead hold it at a somewhat decent distance (not arms length but about 20-30cm away and instead of viewing it straight on I tilt it down ever so slightly (maybe about 10 degrees at most, just enough to even out the intensity levels). I’d recommend this approach to others as well and see if it helps with their experience. Unfortunately with the majority of small LCD screens being made for use in cell phones (which use portrait as the standard orientation) it can be quite challenging to find a suitable one for landscape orientation that isn’t super expensive or designed for higher res systems (like 1080p and up).

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @tuxinator2009. I’ve tried that but it doesn’t work for me even at armslength. If I could get/make an extension cable for the LCD I could fIip the display (with some library changes). I also saw this IPS display and was wondering If I could hook that to Pokitto some how.

2 Likes

Hey @Mr.Blinky good to see you over here!

1 Like

Hi @filmote! I found my Pokitto (and this forum) again lot’s to check out. I see you and @Vampirics where quite busy with Pokitto too :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice to see you around!!!

1 Like