[Game]Pokitto Grand Prix

WIP update:

I have now got texture importer to work. Here is a video demonstrating the loading and running a new user track. Both textures and the track profile are user defined.

Here are all the textures of the “circuit board” track in one image.

Below are 3 textures separately: a 16x16 “edge” and a 8x8 “road” textures with their mipmaps, and a 12x23 “capacitor” sprite without a mipmap.

Edit:
To be more specific, each texture should be stored in its own file, including mipmaps.

• The 8x8 texture with the mipmaps is an image file, e.g. “tex02.bmp”, of 8x12 pixels and 256 colors.
  • The 16x16 texture with the mipmaps is an image file, e.g. “tex01.bmp”, of 16x24 pixels and 256 colors.
  • The sprite image, e.g. “sprite01.bmp”, can be of arbitrary size, but the width must be divisible by 4. There is no mipmap in the sprite file.
  • All the image files must use the same palette, that is why it is handy to make one texture atlas first and divide it to separate files when ready.
8 Likes

Still to do before a new release:

• Add support for defining the position of the billboard sprites in the map file.
  • Make it possible to change the textures of the default track
  • Perhaps, make the browsing of different tracks faster. Now we load all the textures before previewing the track which is slow.
3 Likes

Would it be too much work to have the sprites drawn at multiple angles so that they could be rotated with the level? Or would there be memory issues?

That could be done, but I do not think billboard sprites look too bad. Rather, I would like to have the ships rotated but that would not look very smooth as you can see in the original SNES F-Zero.

1 Like

Hi all,

Good things are happening in PGP development. I cannot reveal anything yet, but I in the near future there will be really exciting improvement made for PGP (not by me). Stay tuned!

7 Likes

A new relese is here! Now users can make own tracks and textures, and import them to the game from the SD card :wink:

A wiki article follows shortly.

The binary and an example track is added to the top post (v1.0.4).

Edit: The article I promised:
Instructions how to make custom tracks and textures for Pokitto Grand Prix

6 Likes

Oh wow! So exciting! I’ll give it a try tomorrow when I have a chance :smile: will need to make a new course with some textures now.

1 Like

I finally got my first try at custom textures!! :smiley: I might adjust the field area to be more dark in the distance view, but this is my first attempt :slight_smile:

mork.zip (4.6 KB)

3 Likes

Textures look like a horror movie :wink: I will try this tonight on Pokitto!

Edit: How was my instructions? Did you had any trouble or questions?

1 Like

The instructions were great! The only challenging part for me was that I didn’t quite understand the indexed colors and how to modify it in GIMP. But once I learned more about that it was pretty simple! I just copied techno and redid the textures one at a time in there.
I’m sure once I get better at art I can make prettier textures :slight_smile:

If you’d mentioned it I could have told you.
I recently figured out how to use indexed colours and modify the palette in GIMP.

1 Like

Wasn’t anything too bad. A quick read of the documentation and it was all sorted :smile: thanks though!

I want to try making another map now and make better textures. The ones I did were hastily thrown together and pretty sloppy because I didn’t have much time to do them. But with a new track I can take my time.

1 Like

Please @torbuntu and @Pharap , share you method of changing the indexed colors. This is how I would do it with GIMP.

1. First make a new full color work image, big enough to contain all the textures (you can expand it later also). Make sure the alpha (transparent) layer is not included (“Layer / Transparency / Remove Alpha Channel”).
  2. Draw the textures. At first copy each texture of the “Techno” track and paste it to the work image. Then modify/replace each texture to your taste.
  3. When everything is ready, convert the full color work image to 256 color image (“Image / Mode / Indexed…” ). Do not use dithering as it looks bad when zooming.
  4. Then export each texture to a separate file like this
    • Select the area of the image that contains the texture (and mipmaps if applicable)
    • Crop the image (“Image / Crop to Selection”)
    • Export the image as e.g. “tex01.bmp” (" File / Export As …")
    • Undo cropping (ctrl-z)
    • Select the next area, etc…

Wow! That track really gives a different feeling!

Somehow it feels like the old Forbidden Forest game fo C64! Only the dark music is missing…

You have so many routes that it almost feels like a platform game :slight_smile:

You could blur and/or darken the mipmaps of the terrain texture a bit. Now, it flickers somewhat.

2 Likes

That’s roughly how I would do it too.

It’s important to be aware that the ‘colourmap’ tab must be used for editing the active palette.
When I was first trying to use indexed mode I couldn’t figure out why the ‘palette editor’ tab couldn’t edit the palette of the active image.

I might try making a track at some point (I’d like to make a forest or a desert),
but I’ve been quite busy recently, hence my relative inactivity on the forum.

Ideally I’d like the background to become editable too so tracks don’t have to have the ‘cityscape’ background.

3 Likes

I was doing what Pharap was doing, with the window color index tables.

I followed your new direction @Hanski and it works great!! Thank you! :smiley: so much easier.

I also made the terrain darker and it seems cleaner to me, I was thinking it needed this so I’m glad it was confirmed.
mork.zip (4.6 KB)

I just made a new track, and have a question, I put the starting point somewhere, but the vehicle spawns in the original location regardless, do all tracks require the same starting point?

1 Like

Here is the second track in the series by tor.sh! :smiley: I call it Booc Village. With little huts and trees even >_<…

booc.zip (3.3 KB)

After some guidance this was much smoother to make! It is a whole lot simpler than Mork Lake, but still got some fun pizazz I think. Hopefully it is enjoyable.

2 Likes

Yes, currently the ship starting point is always in the fixed position. I have to add that to the instructions.

2 Likes

Yes, that is in the list.

2 Likes

Yay! I think Mork lake would look better with a darker background with some gooey highlighting :wink:

3 Likes