[Game]Pokittaire

OK, here is it.

pokittaire.bin (98.2 KB)
pokittaire.pop (299.1 KB)

There might still be a couple of bugs, but it’s a basic solitaire game. Nothing much else to say.
If you have a microSD card, you will be able to save your game and reload it later.

Sourcecode

12 Likes

Thank you Spinal! Great work!

At this speed you have a shot at the coveted “Game Mogul” badge.

But for now, you will get another Game Maker award!

3 Likes

If I could, I’d give a second like for providing the source code on Github.

You don’t specify a licence though. Might be worth picking one (if in doubt, Apache 2.0 or BSD 3-clause are good).

Licence = completely free for all use. If I cared what people did with it, I wouldn’t release it.

Even if they claim it as their own intellectual property (i.e. claim they wrote it)?

If you want to relinquish all copyrights you could throw a public domain mark on it:

Or use the WTFPL.

(Or at the very least just put “Do what the hell you want with it” in a README.md so people don’t have to ask or worry about using it.)

For a “public domain” release, I put the following in a comment in my source code (which I think I found somewhere on the Creative Commons web site).

To the extent possible under law, <your name> has waived all copyright and
related or neighboring rights to this <program name> program.

1 Like

I’d recommend MIT or CC0 over the WTFPL:

[quote]
The software developer who chooses the WTFPL picks it because it sounds cool and are tired of software licenses, but they have completely missed the primary purpose of a software license in the first place: Protection against spurious lawsuits. The WTFPL does NOT protect the software developer. In fact, it does the exact opposite and spells out, in no uncertain terms, that the person using the software (even just downloading it constitutes use) can do whatever they want to the author of the software.[/quote]

And apparently public domain isn’t recognized in some places (Germany?), so the MIT license is a good way of saying “Do whatever you want, just don’t sue me”.

2 Likes

I’d recommend BSD 3C over MIT because of the 3rd clause:

Neither the name of the [organization] nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

WTFPL is still probably better than nothing though.
Any licence is better than no licence.
(I have heard of the Germany public domain issue, but that’s not WTFPL specific.)

If the ‘offensiveness’ of the F in WTFPL is an issue, then The Unlicence is the next closest stepping stone.

Except for the WTFPL. :stuck_out_tongue: The language isn’t the issue. From the article I linked previously:

[quote]
The wording of the WTFPL really invites people to sue the software developer. I recall reading about a case years ago where one party in a lawsuit put a friendly “Welcome to our admin interface” type of message on their login screen. Sounds great! However, they ended up trying to prosecute someone who illicitly gained access to their systems and actually lost the case because of the login screen’s welcome message, which is what made it newsworthy. “Welcome”/“Do whatever you want” style messaging seems nice but is a legal minefield not worth walking into. The WTFPL can easily be read as I just described.[/quote]

And how exactly does that case have relevance here?

There’s no link to the details of the case (i.e. we only have the author’s word for it) and the circumstances are different to any foreseeable case that would be likely to arise here.

His point being that licences that haven’t been verified by a lawyer can sound nice but have unintended legal consequences. Telling people they can do whatever with it, implies a guarantee that the software is fit for whatever purpose. When something goes wrong, you might be held responsible.

Real nice game. Have a problem though:
If i have two or more cards in line i can take the first out, but then i can’t move the left cards any more

@spinal : resized and added a gif, looks better on games page

Its a really nice game as @Zockeromi has said, but moving the cards (a bigger selection than 1) always ends up in a bug

1 Like

Very nice – first game I decided to check out here and I see you dedicated this to public domain – I appreciate this very much, thank you for your contribution :slight_smile: About the license – I personally use CC0 too, because public domain can vary depending on country, and it’s a professional legal text that’s widely used, so I think the choice is good.

Don’t have my Pokitto yet, but will give this a go as soon as it arrives.

1 Like

Needs an open-source tag.

EDIT:

Hmmm, I can edit posts… but am I allowed to?

You can edit posts because your trust level is high enough.

Adding an open-source tag is an undeniably constructive edit, so you’re free to do that (as can anyone else with edit permissions).

1 Like