[Game]Awaken

awaken

Game Bin:

AwakenJavaofthedeadjam.bin (199.6 KB)

Source Code

Itch page

Awaken! (working title)

A game of strategy, defence, battle and farming!

Fight off daily waves of zombies in this combination strategy battle combat game.
While fighting off the zombies, grow crops to gain precious materials such as Coffee beans, fruits or flowers. Use the harvested materials to craft Tea, Coffee and juices to replenish your health, speed up the passing of time, and increase your survival meter!

working back story:

It is a distant future where all Coffee plants have mutated into a new strain called Caffea Non-Mortus. The caffeine it contains has evolved to become extremely addictive! Folks that have been exposed to this strain are so dependant that if they go even a day without ingesting the drug, they will immediately die. The bodies of these victims become reanimated by the mutated strain of caffeine, and the reanimated corpses roam the planet in search of mother-plants.
A small farmer has been able to survive by growing their own crops. However, this makes the farm a prime target for the ever-growing wave of reanimated zombies! Now the farmer must fight off the undead menace! Starting out with nothing but a Shovel, the farmer must formulate a productive farm, all while protecting the crops! But this farmer has a plan, a cunning plan at that. They plan to breed coffee plants of their own until they can breed out the nasty non-mortust strain of caffeine! But this will take time. Protect the crops until they are bred pure!

Main goals:

Each day a growing wave of zombies will attack your little farmstead.
Each day ends with a Shop menu to purchase items to aid you on your quest.
Grow your crops to gain enough coffee fruits to craft the cure!

Controls:

Each weapon has its own capabilities but mostly operate the same, just with different range. You can hold the attack buttons for best affect.

The planter item is for Planting seeds, you must hold down the action button until it finishes planting (with a pop sound and 1 minus saplings). This tool is also used to clean up dead plants and to harvest the fully grown ones (shown with white leaves)

Showcase

title-yoyo-awaken

gameover-awaken

gameplay-awaken

inventory-awaken

shop-awaken

title-awaken

10 Likes

Half coffee half tea? (Or maybe just 1/3 tea?)

:wink: coffea

3 Likes

Oh, it’s a genus.

If you’re going to use the genus then you could just come up with a name for the actual species.
E.g. Coffea Torbuntii, Coffea Hyperblandus, Coffea Glycofolium, Coffea Ambigua

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll need to make a fancy one of the mutated zombie strain ;D

2 Likes

If it’s a virus, the taxonomic suffix for viruses is ‘-virus’ (e.g. the genuses marburgvirus, ebolavirus, dianlovirus) and then the specific species name is formed by putting that name after another name (e.g. marburg marburgvirus, reston ebolavirus, sudan ebolavirus).
So a full name could be something like ‘Java Mortuvirus’.

And then your game’s lore can be ridiculously scientific. :P

3 Likes

@torbuntu Love the name

1 Like

I always love good lore, and scientific-ish terms add a disturbing sense of realism :smiley: thanks for the tips! I’ll update when I get a chance this evening.

Thanks! If I can fit it into the back story lore better I might even keep it / modify it a little.

The game is done for the compo! Unless something explodes :D.

I’ll be updating the backstory when I get a chance.

6 Likes

Mini-review:

There is a lot to do in this game: plant coffee, protect plants, harvest coffee, collect coins. It keeps you very busy! At first I did not know what to do. Should I prevent zombies to go to the left of screen? No. How collect fruits? Use the same tool as for planting. Seems that in the Pokitto Forum, there are the best instructions. There are multiple strategies how to plant to the coffee and how to collect money, and when. After some practicing, the difficulty level was fine (“normal”).

Special in this game: I really liked the back story about mutated coffee strain, which is like a disease :slight_smile:

Suggestions:

• The more detailed in-game instructions or a tutorial mode could really be of use. This is so far the most complex game in the jam.

This game really pleases the players who like to try different strategies!

1 Like

This is a great review! Thank you so much :smiley:

After the jam I’ll see what I can do. I learned a lot of good stuff about optimizing so I should be able to squeeze in a good tutorial to help curve the on boarding difficulty.

1 Like