Escape Toast Manor [WIP]

If you need any help/advice with the code side of things, don’t hesitate to ask.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Lets see if today I can start hacking around, trying to recollect the pieces I’ll need.

Code: sublime-text ready to rumble on the M0 with the openIO plugin installed, I don’t do IDEs, fingers crossed for this combo to work.

Art: whatever

MapEditor: advices? can’t decide between Tiled Map Editor and Tile Studio. Ideally it’d spit out .h files, otherwise json would be nice.

I’ll look into audio at the end, as usual : D

EDIT: will also look into an image converter, I think a simple search here will get me what I need.

Gameplay wise, the idea for now is to try and make randomized rooms and have a card/bonus dispatch system based on luck and room-influenced rules.
I hope I won’t have to bail from that and fall into a hand-crafted puzzle game, because I suck at level design.

3 Likes

there is an great image converter for the pokitto, you can find it here img2pok.

3 Likes

OK, I can display a map out of Tiled, in mode 15 with 16 colors.
I have sweated a lot already : )
Right now there’s femto + tiled + img2pok + custom python to convert maps to .h, but it’s done, if the fps will hold I have a tiled engine running.

I’m a bit worried this mode’s buffers will chew almost half the ram already, but looking at the other games this seems the only way to get full res in 16 colors, right?

3 Likes

you can draw to lcd directly without buffer

edit: but it limits your options on transparency / ovelay of gfx

Yes, it is easy to get flicker in direct drawing if the same LCD pixel is being drawn twice.

2-bit mode + sprites might be an option here

To save memory, yes. Each sprite has 3 unique colors + transparent color.

What’s the 2-bit mode?
Does it mean I get to swap palette before drawing each tile?

2 bits for bg, 16 for sprites. look at mars attack game

(we really should write that tiled hardware mode)

Sprites are 2-bit also, but each has own palette. Look at:

You do not need to swap palette as each sprite owns its palette.

if I’ve hunted the right info around here, 2-bit mode is mode14, right? fixed palette.

I’d rader use a direct-draw mode, store an array of tiles for the backround and a fixed set of non-overlapping sprites maybe?

Out of curiosity, if you’re using Femto, what do you use img2pok for?

so I guess there’s an image conversion tool in femto? : D
Where?

It does the conversion when you build the project. See smile.png and smile.h?

I didn’t know it was doing that at compile time, cool, but how does it handle a palette?

1 Like

Look for palette inside your project.json file. It will try to parse the hex numbers from the file you point it to.

awesome, I’ll use that then!

I’ve also thought of what could be a nice tiled mode for the pokitto’s limitations:

• a compile time specified buffer region, in there I can draw with tiles and overlapping sprites
  • a default map region used to clear the screen at each refresh, it’s 4 ints and it’s used to fill the whole screen with tiles pulled from the sd
  • one null terminated array to store which tiles of the screen will be replaced at the next refresh (to affect the tiles outside of the buffer region)

I think this would be the best of all worlds, to fill up the pokitto screen with nice 16 color tiles, while being smart about the buffer size.
Thoughts?

I actually ment mode 1.

looks awesome

1 Like