[Game]Not Dead Yet - Java Compo Entry

NDY

Everybody has seen those movies where aliens invade the Earth and epic Sci-Fi battles ensue.

Aliens watched them too. Turns out cable reception in orbit isn’t too bad.

They also watched our zombie movies and that gave them an idea: Why go through the trouble of an interplanetary war when they could turn some of us into zombies and let the undead do the dirty work?

When the fleet arrived our civilization had already crumbled. They did not come to fight, they were the cleanup crew. They came to eliminate the last of us and to enjoy our beaches and take selfies by our ruins.

Between snapping pictures and checking if they looked fat, they never notice your presence. You manage to sneak into one of their fighter ships.

They may have won the war but you’ll let them know that you’re…

Not Dead Yet

Downloads: NotDeadYet-V1.0.1.bin / NotDeadYet.pop

How to play:

• Getting shot by the alien ships are a Bad Thing.
  • Shooting the aliens is a Good Thing.
  • Shooting drains your ships power.
  • Running out of power is also a bad thing.
  • Fly through a charging tower so your batteries don’t run out.
  • Rescue survivors in cars and boats for extra points.

A big thank-you to @Vampirics for making the HUD graphics.

My entry started off as a Tamagotchi game, where you take care of a decapitated zombie head.
Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to make that concept work, so I’ll be changing it into something else. Still not sure what. Anyway, here’s a gif to remember that idea by:

9 Likes

what a pity - still hoping for a good tamagotchi and pinball game on pokitto… :cry:

2 Likes

It’s probably for the best, that zombie head is nightmare inducing.

Did you rework your code from PodManager to do the 3D?

Also, who made the flowers and the background?
(I particularly like the background.)

While I’d like to see those two games on the Pokitto (especially Pinball), the art aspect is really getting in the way. >_<

Well, Tamagotchi is supposed to wake you up during the night, so the nightmares are a feature since the Pokitto can’t turn itself on and buzz at you because your pet is hungry. :stuck_out_tongue:

I ported the Vector4 and Matrix classes to Java. The rest (ie, triangle rasterization) is from scratch.

I drew the flower in aseprite. The background is from the Superpowers Asset Pack.

2 Likes

Pinball doesn’t really need decent art.

Heck, you could get away with the whole table being wireframe vector graphics if there’s enough processing power for that.

Just like a real pet. :P

See also: Nightmare Fuel. :P

Does the CPU not have a sleep and wake function?
Some AVR chips do so I would have thought an ARM Cortex would have.

If it does then porting that Arduino dinosaur tamagotchi game (whose name I forget and don’t have time to look up at the moment) would be a good first step.

I hope you publish the code for this at some point.
Someone was asking me recently about doing 3D rendering on the Pokitto and I think it may be of use to them.

As far as programmer art goes it’s pretty decent.

This one?

1 Like

That’s the one. Though the ‘ArduboyCollection’ fork is actually no different to its parent repo:

1 Like

It does. As far as I know, we’ve never used it. It’s a possibility, it just needs some looking into. It might be odd leaving your Pokitto on all the time.

Yup. Just had to resize+crop it and let the IDE do the conversion to the game’s palette.

1 Like

The final entry will be opensource.
Eventually I’d like to refactor it so that 3D can be part of FemtoLib.

3 Likes

That was me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Did some more work on my entry this weekend:

10 Likes

On the one hand I’m suddenly glad I’m not competing.
On the other hand, I see a distinct lack of undead things. :P

4 Likes

Can’t wait to see some game play, new palette is great. And that never ending sunset is so evocative.
Probably ship will benefit of some more triangles in the wings to avoid disappearing. And maybe different color too (black? White?) to make it more visible.

2 Likes
7 Likes

StarFox pokitto edition.

Will have to shoot zombie heads before they eat your ship? :laughing:

2 Likes

Started working on a system for putting stuff in the scene, like trees and boats.

7 Likes

Spent some time learning Blender, modelled a new plane, manually reduced the polygon count in all the meshes and optimized the rendering code. Runs at just below 40fps.
Also, you can shoot now.

7 Likes

Pew pew pew pew :grin:

2 Likes

Starbat ???

2 Likes