Dev Environments?

Out of curiosity, what are people using to code projects for their Pokittos, Please also leave a comment, what are your reasons for using the one you use over the others. I’m wondering if it’s worth getting the higher-ups to focus on just one environment over the others.

• FemtoIDE
  • MBED Onlinecompiler
  • Embitz
  • MicroPython IDE (Online)
  • Other

0 voters

1 Like

I like using FemtoIDE and the Online MicroPython Online IDE because I don’t need to do any setup to use them.

Now, I could read and follow the instructions for the other dev environments, but I’d rather spend the (little) free time I have on getting a little game done instead of looking through setting screens and googling error messages.

I’m not too picky about editors and customization (keyboard shortcuts, color schemes, auto-completion), so getting quick results is more important to me.

3 Likes

vim + @FManga’s Makefiles:

• Easiest and most effective because it’s the environment I use for everything and have learned to work with the best, no extra learning, setup, distraction or issues.
  • Minimum bloat, extremely fast.
  • Maximum flexibility, everything can be automated, integrated with Bash.
  • Suits my multiplatform programming, i.e. it’s not just Pokitto environment.
  • No mouse and internet required => faster and more comfortable programming, can program anywhere anytime.

4 Likes

Does the “Embitz” option include “Code::Blocks” also?

Lately I’m full FemtoIde
Before I used code::block and embitz but I was not so happy.
I used also the VsCode+PlatformIO were the only big missing was debugger.

2 Likes

I tried a lot of things and eventually settled on Nano/NetBeans(sort of) with Makefiles but eventually went to Eclipse and PlatformIO.

But as I’m typically a java developer I may end up just using FemtoIDE from now on. It is so quick and easy to get productive that I can’t see myself doing anything else. Now that the jam is over I will even continue my goal of learning C++ with Pokitto (using FemtoIDE :wink: )

Other tools I use are Aseprite, FL Studio, and Nano (just for quick stuff lol)

For quick Pokitto projects I use FemtoIDE. For anything else: emacs.
Soon I intend to be able to build FemtoIDE projects from within emacs using the commandline.
Edit: Done.

2 Likes

Just realised that I never put my own preferences, I’m currently trying out femtoIDE, I can’t say I like how importing sprites and such work, but I understand that that’s how a lot of other systems do it. I mostly used to use Embitz for the flexibility t o mess with the pokitto libs but found it to be quite slow at loading and compiling.

I’m still using PlatformIO and VSCode.

Though I’ve been considering looking for a way to ditch PlatformIO because of one or two problems I’ve had with it, mainly related to updates.

If I change anything, I’ll probably look into finding out how to compile Pokitto programs on the command line, then find a way to hook that up to VSCode or Visual Studio because those are my preferred editors

As for the other options:

I’ve considered trying FemtoIDE but it’s yet another thing to install,
it’s Pokitto specific and there naturally isn’t as much info available compared to a well known multiplatform IDE/editor.

I still have Embitz installed but I haven’t touched it in ages.
Compilation targets and having to have per-project copies of the PokittoLib (which took ages to download because of all the examples included) made it cumbersome to use in my opinion.

And even if I used MicroPython, I’m not a fan of online IDEs.
Even when I tried to use it I was writing the code in a local editor and then copying it across to test it.

I’m really glad to see that effectively nobody is using mbed online anymore.

If nobody is using mbed online then we don’t have to keep C++98/C++03 support in the Pokitto library,
so we have an excuse to start using C++11 features.

2 Likes

You can disable that in C++ projects by removing img-to-c from the build steps in your project.json.